Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this possible???

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Enola, May 23, 2019.

1. Enola

Enola Member

Jun 15, 2017
    USA
    An old customer is slowly becomming a PITA.

So, last year I lettered a 24' trailer for a fella. He didn't want mega coverage, and we decided to keep his logo about 10' long, and towards the front. He said he may want to add a picture later on.

Fast forward to last Friday, He would now like that photo on the back corner. The problem is, he is very determined that we fade the picture coming forward, ending up the color of the trailer (dark gray). I have tried twice to fade the picture into a dark gray color to match the trailer, and have come extremely close, but not dead on.

Is this even possible to get a "dead on" match to an automotive paint job? I went as far as contacting the manufacturer for the color specs, but I can't get perfect.

Tags:
  2. unclebun

unclebun Active Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Osage Beach, MO
    The simple answer is no. Even on a white vehicle. Black you can come closer because of the nature of black, especially when not in direct sunlight. But because of the nature of paint (pigment, depth, gloss, metallic or not) and printed vinyl (CMYK dots, gloss, lack of depth), you will never get a perfect match.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    No, there are too many pigment options that ink can't match. You MIGHT could come close by printing on clear with white ink and fading into no print. Plus, the print will likely fade faster than the paint and it won't match in a matter of years anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  4. equippaint

equippaint Very Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    Clear with a halftone gradient

• Like Like x 3
  5. Enola

Enola Member

Jun 15, 2017
    USA
    Thank you for the replies.

I will let you know how things go.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  6. Baz

Baz Very Active Member

Clear with a halftone gradient will only work on lite colored vehicles.
    I only fade to vehicle paint when it's black or white. You don't get exact match, but from a distance looks great.

Trying to match a vehicle paint color is hard to do and always goes off depending on the angle you are looking at it and how the sun reflects on it.
    Near impossible in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    You jut need to be honest with the guy and tell him, you are working with two entirely different components. They will never be a prefect blend, unless you wrap it. Called Upsell.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Enola

Enola Member

Jun 15, 2017
    USA
    I'm going with this. haha

• Like Like x 1
  9. ExecuPrintGS

ExecuPrintGS Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Hartland, WI
    I would print it on 3m IJ180mC-114, Clear printable wrap material and print a white base under the image and use a halftone to fade to the trailers paint color.
    Plenty of wholesale printers who can print white ink could handle the printing for you and you could give your client what they are asking for.

10. De.signs Nanaimo

De.signs Nanaimo Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Nanaimo
    I always say no to matching paint, even if you charge for it you will never get it perfect, it's like trying to get a car guy to pay full price for decals, ain't gonna happen!

11. rjssigns

rjssigns Premium Subscriber

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    You can match, but it involves painting a blend with automotive paint. Nothing is impossible, impossible just costs more.:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    +1 for full wrap
    +1 for nothing is impossible
    -2 for PITA customer
    0 sum game, not worth the effort. I hate going through hoops to get something out of the ordinary quoted and sourced, only for the customer to balk at the price. I will usually pitch a high-high ballpark of a price to get a feel for whether they will actually swallow such a bitter pill.