• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is Translucent Vinyl Necessary?

OldSchool79

Hi Everyone!
I've got a customer wanting me to put vinyl on their existing lighted sign. Their logo is simple black and white, so I was wondering if the translucent vinyl is necessary? I understand the need with colors, but wasn't sure if there is something special with the translucent stuff that would mean I have to use that particular type. Thanks!

WB

as long as the vinyl your using has a clear adhesive I'd think you'd get a fianly product that they would be happy with..

J Hill Designs

In my experience, opaque vinyl still has some translucency to it, and shows mottled when lit up. black MAYBE is the only color where this isnt a concern, I always use trans black anyway, but more for the finish then anything (matte vs gloss)

If it were a different color than black i would say just use some oracal 651 something with a colored adhesive and the light transmit the same but black i would def stick with a translucent.

Mosh

i would say just use some oracal 651

I don't think this is a cheap banner.....751 black is what I would use....751 red lights up nicely too in a pinch....

Drip Dry

Why would you waste your money using translucent black. Black is black. Use a 7 or 8 year opaque vinyl and it will be fine
If your talking colors, then you should use translucent for them

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I think your first concern needs to be what the customer is going to be pleased with.

"Black is black" isn't the case. Trans, opaque and blockout all give different effects.

If you use translucent or opaque vinyl, the face is going to look crappy (in my opinion) at night. Use a black blockout vinyl so that the white is the only thing that shows as being illuminated at night.

splizaat

We use translucent WHITE vinyl quite a bit as a "base" layer on clear plexi. All the suppliers around here with translucent white plexi with UV protection in them want WAYYYY too much money, so we buy the clear plexi with UV built in, coat with translucent white first, then lay the graphic on it. May be a little longer way around, but it works,and it works great for us.

J Hill Designs

We use translucent WHITE vinyl quite a bit as a "base" layer on clear plexi. All the suppliers around here with translucent white plexi with UV protection in them want WAYYYY too much money, so we buy the clear plexi with UV built in, coat with translucent white first, then lay the graphic on it. May be a little longer way around, but it works,and it works great for us.

whats the point of UV built into a clear plex if you cover it up with white trans anyway?

splizaat

Because regardless of what anyone tells you, if the plexi doesn't have UV protection built into it, it gets brittle and hairline cracks all over

Craig Sjoquist

Mozes blockout black ..I've never seen on a back lighted sign or even heard of & to use it for this

I would like to see the difference in a lighted sign between normal black, translucent black, & blockout ...also durability such fade, cracking, removal after 10 years.

Before it was done with spray from back & it lasted well over 20 years, but now this way is to costly for one or 2 compared to vinyl at a premium price but with dozens to do spray is still the way if ya want a premium product.

Since I get a fair amount of back lighted panels to do.... Blame it on most just use regular vinyl, hard to read, redo & new.
I use translucent only, the longest time on a couple back lighted panel signs has already passed regular vinyl & still looking strong, very pleased so interested in blockout if ya say it works better against white, you seem to have installed alot of signs so curious.

Simple as the question is, what black ? it was good one, if this raises the bar on quality even more so.

DizzyMarkus

651 black DOES NOT show light through :0) -- atleast on the light table. On other colors, the lighter the color the more light shines through -- we just messed around with the table to see.

Markus

Marlene

no light comes thru a good 2mil cast black vinyl. I've used a ton of it on signs over the years and have even used it when the background is black and the letters are knocked out. if you mix the translucent with the translucent has a matte finsih and the cast a gloss which is about the only difference. if you are putting down white, use translucent as it will look patchy as it isn't made for thatas for the black, I only use Gerber 220 vinyl so I don't know about cheaper stuff as it may not work