Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Vanguard a good printer? Which model is recommended?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Printers' started by Spencer_cBlue, May 13, 2020.

1. Spencer_cBlue

Spencer_cBlue New Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Lansing, MI
    Hello everyone,
    my shop is interested in purchasing a flatbed and we got recommended Vanguard.
    I am just curious if those are quality machines, and which model would work best for us.
    We are a medium volume company, we do a lot of foam core signs and corplast signs and Di-bond.
    We have just been doing traditional mounting, but for big jobs it is far to tedious of a process.
    We are looking at the VK300D-HS, VK300D-HVT, VK300D-SS, VKM600THS, VR5D-E.
    I was just curious if anyone has any experience with any of these models and which one they would recommend for a shop of our size.
    Any help would be awesome.
    Thanks

2. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Yes, it is!

We have the VK300D-HS and it works on all the media you mention and much more! The machine is blazing fast and has a very high-quality output. The HVT and SS are only needed if you work with really thin hard to hold down materials. the VKM and VR5D are great if you only need 4x8 size and speed is not a concern, but you also lose the awesome Kyocera Heads which are extremely durable and have an awesome PL dot size to build smooth color transitions and increase the gamut substantially without light inks.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Spencer_cBlue

Spencer_cBlue New Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Lansing, MI
    Thank you for the reply, when you say thin are you talking about just adhesive vinyl?

4. Christian @ 2CT Media

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    No more like cardstock, .010 styrene, t.010 acrylics, etc.

5. Spencer_cBlue

Spencer_cBlue New Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Lansing, MI
    So its not necessary to get one of those models if I am just printing on standard adhesive vinyl?

6. Christian @ 2CT Media

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    No, are you wanting to just print on roll stock? If so look at the VKR machine

7. Spencer_cBlue

Spencer_cBlue New Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Lansing, MI
    No, I want to print directly on to substrates I just wanted to know if it was okay to just print on adh vinyl with one of the lower end models.
    We currently have a Eco Sol machine and I was just curious if we got this machine could it be a complete replacement for the eco sol.

8. Christian @ 2CT Media

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Yes you can, we do all the time

9. FireSprint.com

FireSprint.com Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing

Most shops that buy a flatbed printer keep their roll printer(s). There are applications for both machines, not to mention redundancy is important.

10. VISCOM

VISCOM Member

Dec 25, 2011
    New Cumberland PA
    My VK300D-HS is a workhorse !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I printed a qty 6 skids of Coroplast through this COVID-19 Bul%&&^ I could not have made my deadlines without this printer ...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Christian @ 2CT Media

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Yes, same here! It's been a beast for us.

12. Signed Out

Signed Out Very Active Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Upstate NY
    How is the ink adhesion with these printers printing directly to white aluminum, 040, 063, 080? And what is the expected outdoor life uncoated vs coated with something like urethane?

13. wleong

wleong Member

Jan 4, 2018
    CA
    What are comparable printers to the Vanguard? How do they compare price wise?

14. Nate1n22

Nate1n22 Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Michigan
    The Digitech Trufire is similar. Believe they use the same or similar heads. We got one a couple months ago and haven't been a fan. A lot of issues for a new printer. Always heard good things about the Vanguard on here though.

15. Zach Starr

Zach Starr Head of Printing Operations

Nov 9, 2018
    Santa Ana, CA

Do checkout the Stratojet EFB2512, i have used that printer for over two years now. Worked great for me. its fast and has adjustable vacuum system for doing heavy and light materials at the sametime. If you are looking for something versatile... They even had a model that did both flatbed and roll printing.

16. Graphic Realm

Graphic Realm Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Dallas Texas
    What do you not like about the Digitech

17. Graphic Realm

Graphic Realm Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Dallas Texas
    What do you not like about the Digitech?

18. johnnysigns

johnnysigns Very Active Member

Nov 3, 2004
    East Coast
    To print vinyl you're going to have to either sheet the material to the table bed or rig up a roll setup to feed and take up the prints on rolled stuff. The guys here print whole rolls with some odds and ends to feed and take up the material. They just manually advance each bed onto a take up before lamination and guillotine cutting.