• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is your bucket truck really broken.........?

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Yeah, these are the best/smoothest ones out there. I've thought of buying one myself but working at heights isn't my preference so I don't really want to do something that will result in doing more of it.

I was stuck up in the air in one once. It would sporadically rotate but wouldn't boom in or down. Turns out there was a loose wire. Fun day.

netsol

my scissor lift is probably close to 30 years old, but i had occasion to use a brand new one (not sure of brand) belonging to an electrician friend.
we were both onsite recently at a client we share & i had one access point to change out. he let me use it. the motion was very smooth, but once i was up, when i reached for a screwdriver
it rocked back and forth for about 30 seconds. kind of unnerving. my old beast seemed a lot steadier

Johnny Best

Words of wisdom yelled to me me as I climbed up the ladder of a boom truck the first time. “After you slide the plastic face out out of the cabinet, try not to let the wind catch you and get blown off the ladder”!

netsol

Scissor lifts seem like they are indestructible no matter how old they are.

you have to love a device where the electrical schematic is 1 page and the hydraulics are 1 page. i bought for $500 from an electrician, because they couldn't get it repaired

1 saturday with the service manual, and we were good to go. he told me it would never be reliable, that's why he priced it so cheap. i think that was april 2016.

netsol

Words of wisdom yelled to me me as I climbed up the ladder of a boom truck the first time. “After you slide the plastic face out out of the cabinet, try not to let the wind catch you and get blown off the ladder”!

johnny,
we always argue with employees at my largest client, who don't want to wear the safety harness. do you remember the window washer in NYC, about 4 years ago. told his partner he wasn't wearing his harness, and nobody could make him. LESS THAN 5 MINUTES LATER, big gust of wind and he goes 32 floors down. his partner says the. belt doesn't feel nearly as restrictive now

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
20200826_132628.jpg
20200826_132618.jpg

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Looks really good.
Will be interested to hear what you think of the speed of the hydraulics after you get it broken in.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Hydraulics are fast... The stabilizers set up with a touch of a button in about 5 seconds. Had two small jobs I did with it today and it did great. I'm getting closer to being a real sign guy....

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Cool deal.....if you have to work at height, that's the tow-behind brand to get.

A few gratuitous pictures....

20190104_085724.jpg
20200410_100405_HDR.jpg
20171014_085449.jpg
20190104_093135.jpg

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Oddly enough, our killswitch kicked out just the other day after this post. I took a picture. This is the second time over 5 years, last time was freezing temperatures. No clue what causes it to trigger but I diagnosed the problem in about 7 seconds. Here is the picture, hopefully someone out there sees it before they spend the money, time, and frustration of towing it to a service center.

The red button is typically depressed. What you can't see is a lever on the back side, that needs to be squeezed in, then press the red button to 'lock' the lever in place. It feels about like a GFCI circuit reset switch. Once again, all it does is cripple the truck in gear, engine revs fine in park, PTO works fine.
View attachment 148748
Replace it. It's a breaker. They're not really designed to be a switch and could just be wore out. Delcity.net waytekwire.com

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Oddly enough, our killswitch kicked out just the other day after this post. I took a picture. This is the second time over 5 years, last time was freezing temperatures. No clue what causes it to trigger but I diagnosed the problem in about 7 seconds. Here is the picture, hopefully someone out there sees it before they spend the money, time, and frustration of towing it to a service center.

The red button is typically depressed. What you can't see is a lever on the back side, that needs to be squeezed in, then press the red button to 'lock' the lever in place. It feels about like a GFCI circuit reset switch. Once again, all it does is cripple the truck in gear, engine revs fine in park, PTO works fine.
View attachment 148748
That's a circuit breaker. We install the same thing (150 amp) when we do liftgates on trucks & vans. It keeps the cable from the battery to the lift from burning when a short or ground hits.
10 years ago we installed one in a van and at that time the kit didn't come with a breaker. Van came back about 5 or 6 years later to have the lift fitted into a newer van - something had shorted in the old van and the line burned all the way to the rear before the battery fully discharged. We moved the lift, cleaned up the pump - new cables and a breaker - worked like new. Lessons learned - Hard to kill a Tommy Gate.

Baz

I rented the 45 foot one two weeks ago.
Cost 450.00$ plus tax for 24 hours. (Cnd)

Was really nice to work with. Super quiet.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I rented the 45 foot one two weeks ago.
Cost 450.00$ plus tax for 24 hours. (Cnd)

Was really nice to work with. Super quiet.
Ya that was another plus with Haullote. Quiet. I dont like running engines and noise, and no constant beeping...only beeps when you lower the bottom boom

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Looks like you are all set. Now all you need is a Mercedes to tow it around.

Hey now, no throwing shade at the Mercedes. :) I would have bought these vans whether they were Ford, Chevy, Nissan, etc. I needed something fully enclosed that could carry 4'x8' material, fit in any parking garage, fit in my garage, and be able to tow an aerial lift. To my knowledge, this is literally the only vehicle that ticks all of those boxes.