• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is your shop prepared for the upcoming barter system?

Signstein

I started watching that this weekend, but then I fell asleep. Is it any good? I did finish watching a docu series called "The Garden". A bunch of hippies, an off-shoot of the rainbow family trying to live off grid. I think most of them are gonna die when it get's real.
Yeah, good show - Walton Goggins is great (as always). I wasn't aware of the video game, so I didn't know about the ending (woah). You should try to stick with it to the end.

JBurton

Signtologist
IDK, why does gold have value, or the $? Somebody else said it was valuable, and they'd honor it for trade, at a given rate. (Gold incidentally has fantastic electrical properties, and therefore has intrinsic value outside of 'pretty metal.') At some point in this post nuclear wasteland, we'll have to define currency. Something small enough to carry, hardy enough to avoid the damaging fallout, and rare enough that you won't be getting rich by finding large deposits... Caps! I guess stuff like paperclips could work, but now you're carrying 20lbs worth to buy a loaf of bread, cause they're everywhere.
What would you have us use as currency at the end of the world?

Signarama Jockey

If that happens, I will have zero need to make signs for a living. My value will raise exponentially due to my gardening and homemaking skills.

fo3-05-016.jpg

Oh, of course there will still be a need for signs! And think of all the possiblities! We won't have a steady supply or pretty much everything, so we'll get to improvise!

Signarama Jockey

IDK, why does gold have value, or the $? Somebody else said it was valuable, and they'd honor it for trade, at a given rate. (Gold incidentally has fantastic electrical properties, and therefore has intrinsic value outside of 'pretty metal.') At some point in this post nuclear wasteland, we'll have to define currency. Something small enough to carry, hardy enough to avoid the damaging fallout, and rare enough that you won't be getting rich by finding large deposits... Caps! I guess stuff like paperclips could work, but now you're carrying 20lbs worth to buy a loaf of bread, cause they're everywhere.
What would you have us use as currency at the end of the world?
Gold has value because you can't just turn on a printer and crank out more of it. There is a limited supply of gold, and it takes effort to create. That is why it is money. Fiat is currency, not money.

Of course, it all depends on how far we fall. If we go back to the stone age, gold is pointless. But if we are still in some semblance of the industrial age, then gold and silver have value.

JBurton

Signtologist
Gold has value because you can't just turn on a printer and crank out more of it. There is a limited supply of gold, and it takes effort to create. That is why it is money. Fiat is currency, not money.

Of course, it all depends on how far we fall. If we go back to the stone age, gold is pointless. But if we are still in some semblance of the industrial age, then gold and silver have value.
Thanks for tearing into my fallout headcanon with economics. So the world has ended, let's say zombies, what is your go to barter/money/currency? Sharp sticks>bullets>pogs?

netsol

we used to discuss this with Ron Kuby, when he did a talk show with Curtis Sliwa

Ron's rule was that everyone was much more generous when barterng, in the presence of a shotgun (even his 20 guage birdshot)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Put that up against my governor with 2-410s and 4 .45's ready with three loaded speed loads with .45s

Signarama Jockey

Thanks for tearing into my fallout headcanon with economics. So the world has ended, let's say zombies, what is your go to barter/money/currency? Sharp sticks>bullets>pogs?
Good question. The whole zombie thing throws a monkey-wrench into everything. Want a hammer? Fight your way to the store and take one. Want to get drunk? Fight your way to the liquor store and take whatever you want. I'm guessing that things like community and fresh food and a place where you and your family can sleep safely at night is going to be worth more than gold or water or bullets.

...although, on the other hand, pogs are pretty sweet.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Let's not forget an alien invasions. I think that their spaceships run on gold and silver, so that will be the most valuable currency when they get here.