• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

isigntube.com?

CES020

Stumbled upon isigntube.com this morning and got stuck there for 1/2 hour watching videos. Appears to be a "youtube" like site made just for sign related videos.

Not a ton of videos there, but there's some interesting stuff.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The first one I watched ended with the tag line:

"How to get professional looking graphics at do-it-yourself prices."

Not so sure it's in anyone's best interests to aid this site in receiving exposure.

CES020

I didn't see that one Fred, but I have seen videos by Roland, 3M, and a couple other manufacturers. I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet.

shakey0818

I can see Freds point but it kinda conflicts with his earlier post in the product review post thread earlier.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I can see Freds point but it kinda conflicts with his earlier post in the product review post thread earlier.

That thread certainly does have its own built in conflict. Do I help a Signs 101 member ... one who has been very helpful and generous to others here over the years, trusting her judgment as to what is going on, or do I not? I chose to do so. This thread, however, is a whole different can of worms.

My take on the site in question is that they are going for the widest audience possible and that the content will especially appeal to non-professionals seeking to do their own work. The fact that some major suppliers are also putting up videos is simply a reflection of the difference in their interests versus the interests of the majority of members here and the ongoing efforts of your humble manager/admin to screen out non-professionals and scammers from our ranks. Simply put, those suppliers are interested in selling equipment and supplies to anyone with the price of admission. Signs 101 is specifically interested in helping professional members of our craft be better at what they do and more profitable as well.

So if a reader of this post wasn't aware of it until now, be aware that a conflict of interest has pretty much always existed between you and your suppliers. And as is common in such matters, there is often a clash of those interests and each individual's reaction to such clashes will be both different and subjective. The recent and ongoing 3M bashing thread comes to mind.

I pay a price for trying to limit and control the demographic of Signs 101. But I happen to feel strongly about our craft, so forgive me for choosing to respond positively to a member without getting into judging her motives. That price is paid in 10 to 20 extra hours a week of work doing the screening, etc. and a much smaller number of members than some sites I could name who make no such efforts.

shakey0818

Thank you for your response Fred.It certainly clears up my confusion.I thing your one of the most knowledgeable people out there and more helpful to sign maker and this industry than anyone i have ever met.I have searched a few other forums b4 when bored and i have to say with great appreciation how great this forum is,how hard it must be to monitor such things.I was dumbfounded to see how many newbies or people trying to get into the business were there and how many foolish questions they ask.Or the equipment they are trying to buy/sell.Its such a mess on other forums i don't know how they get subscribing members.Again thank you for your response and an even bigger thank you for this forum.

CES020

I must be missing something, I've watched about 20 videos and all of them have been helpful to me. Most of them are commercials for products, but there's info on CNC routers, doming epoxies, materials, techniques, etc.

I've actually tried to look for videos like Fred describes, but can't seem to find them. I'm sure they are there, but I must be looking in the wrong places.

I even saw a video commercial by "Brian the Brush" in the UK, showed him hand lettering something. I've enjoyed it all so far.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I must be missing something, I've watched about 20 videos and all of them have been helpful to me. Most of them are commercials for products, but there's info on CNC routers, doming epoxies, materials, techniques, etc.

I've actually tried to look for videos like Fred describes, but can't seem to find them. I'm sure they are there, but I must be looking in the wrong places.

I even saw a video commercial by "Brian the Brush" in the UK, showed him hand lettering something. I've enjoyed it all so far.

Maybe it's just my dumb luck. Here's a link to the first one I watched.

iSign

Maybe it's just my dumb luck. Here's a link to the first one I watched.

wow... I only watched the first minute... but it really sounds like she is going to teach a kindergarten class whateverTF she is talking about...

next link posted ...wow filmed in one take!!! ...100 times, strung together :Sleeping: no worries of any viral consequences there...

guy hacks sign... now that was entertaining!

Joe Diaz

Kgirl, I think it's really cool what you are doing, Imagine if this were being done with all the products we use in the sign industry... Paint, vinyl, substrate, etc. We would all be better for it.

Keep up the good work. :thumb:

kgirl

Kgirl, I think it's really cool what you are doing, Imagine if this were being done with all the products we use in the sign industry... Paint, vinyl, substrate, etc. We would all be better for it.

Keep up the good work. :thumb:

Thank you Joe....we get a lot of good feedback at ISA every year......helps a lot of sign shops....what to use what to stay away from..... and manufacturers......what to better....scares some manufacturers too as you can imagine. We're up to five lighting projects now....starting Border Security next week hopefully....this is on border tubing lamps....neon and Led's.....working on acrylics and vinyls as we speak, fadeability...longevity.....hopefully up and going by the end of summer.....