• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Issue in Illustrator

In Print

Not sure where to post this but if you can help - tx in advance.
I bought for my designer a Mac Mini (as we were starting up I scrimped - my mistake)
Having an issue that every change in Illustrator on the artwork however tiny takes forever to take effect and saving a file can take 5 minutes.
Below are the specs - anyone can suggest a way for us to speed it up or is it a lost cause?
Specs are

2.5GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB

In Print

Yes, or I should say I believe so :)
It came with 4 GB - upgraded and made sure the computer states it is running the 8gb.

omgsideburns

Do tiny files take forever to save? Like a couple KBs?

If you're "placing" a lot of linked images in your files, stop saving them as "PDF Compatible" and it will reduce the file size.. And turn the raster effects resolution down. It can slow it down a bit.

Otherwise it sounds like something is wrong.

In Print

I believe even smaller files - but on a large file even moving a small group of text took a couple of seconds after it was moved for it to move on screen.

In Print

To clarify - most of our files are from our clients and we are making them print ready, i.e. setting up the sheet adding reg marks - even those simple tasks can take a few minutes.

press52

If this is happening with small vector files, you have a system problem of some sort. That machine should handle the work.

In Print

That's what I am worried about.
My designer says that mostly they are huge files but even a 50 MB file should work fine on 8GB of RAM or am I missing the boat?
Is there something to try to pinpoint it?

Thanks for your help dealing with a newbie like me :)

John Butto

Go to Macupdate and download OnyX for free. Cleans your computer and will check your system for bad blocks and rewrite permissions for the Mac.

SebastienL

If your file is all vector, something's wrong.

If you have effects like Drop Shadows, blur, etc, The more you have, the more everything's going to lag.
Add a raster image in there, things can grind to pretty much a alt.

I have the same setup at home, running CS6 and never had a problem.

omgsideburns

MacMini is onboard graphics (he said intel 4000).

It should be able to render most stuff in illustrator super quick. Somethings gotta be goofy.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Try opening up activity monitor to see how much free memory you have, which process is using the most of your CPU, page in, page outs, etc

You can google all of the terms/data on the attached screenshot to see what they mean and maybe help narrow down the issue

Also restart and see if the problem persists. If it does, maybe a program is using too much memory or it is not being released and you are using "hard drive" memory (virtual) instead of actual memory.

Also login as a different user and see if the problem persists

I use a 6 year old mac and don't run into the issues you are describing unless you are working with overly complex vectors with too many effects

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-11-07 at 3.25.42 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-11-07 at 3.25.42 PM.png
    134.1 KB · Views: 74

In Print

Thank you going to try looking at whats running after my designer leaves and will have him let me know what develops.

John Butto

I have a widget called IStatPro that gives all the information for your computer and how it is running at that very moment, ram, heat, cpu, disks etc etc

rjssigns

Never think you skimped by getting a Mac Mini. That being said; My 2005 iMac was having difficulty saving/processing large files, but I knew why. The internal hard drive was going on permanent vacation. Replaced it last weekend and it's blazin' again.

You will need to go into Disk Utility and run a couple tests to see what is going on with the hard drive. Just because it's new doesn't mean it works. Once in Disk Utility you can Verify, do First Aid, Restore etc...

In Print

Thanks everyone, first of all my designer verified he only is having the issue mainly on huge files.
Also, to edit - I put in 16GB not 8 (was so long ago I forgot) and the system recognizes it.
As well I checked in Activity Monitor and there was only 3.6GB active, and LogMeIn was largest at 10%

I will try the Disk Activity route. Tx

omgsideburns

You may consider a faster hard drive, or getting two disks. There's a company that sells a bracket to fit two drives in the minis.