• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ISSUE WITH LAMINATING UV PRINTED MATERIALS

enes sonmez

Hello,
We started printing on UV without printing White ink. Recently we started laminating with Arlon and 3m overlaminates. But we got one issue. Since we dnt print the white ( it gets the white from white material ), we get bubbles when we laminating the substrate . For example if the print has red color on SIG and white on N, you will see bubbles where the red ink ends. since the ink is thick, there is a level difference between the ink and the substrate. What do you recommend ?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You will need a laminator with heat assist to allow the laminate to conform with the edge of the ink. I have heard of some people using certain laminates that work better without the heat assist as well so hopefully they will comment.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Heat seems to be a requirement for laminating UV prints. We generally have experienced the same thing as others. Even with very soft/conformable laminates.

InkHead

There are laminates designed specifically for UV curable inks. They have thicker adhesive so when you run it with a heat assist laminator, it's supposed to have better wet out flow to fill the gaps between the media and ink. It's more expensive and I have never tried it.

We have pretty good success running the print through a heat assist laminator at a pretty slow speed. When finished, we crank up the heat a bit more with even more pressure and re-run it through the laminator.

Kemik

I sell stickers and sticker accessories.
Yes we used with the heat as well. i have a heat laminator.
You need to buy heat assist lamination as well, cold lam will not work as well, adding a bit more down pressure on the rollers will also help fill in the gaps.

InkHead

Mimaki makes a laminate that is supposed to help with silvering. I believe they said the film is less stiff and the adhesive is thicker and softer so that adhesive can flow between the inks. It's called Mimaki Vision 310

Orafol 215DU is another laminate for UV inks.

Mactac also makes a UV ink specific laminate. Mactac PERMACOLOR ColorGard LUV

All need heat assist obviously

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Mimaki makes a laminate that is supposed to help with silvering. I believe they said the film is less stiff and the adhesive is thicker and softer so that adhesive can flow between the inks. It's called Mimaki Vision 310

Orafol 215DU is another laminate for UV inks.

Mactac also makes a UV ink specific laminate. Mactac PERMACOLOR ColorGard LUV

All need heat assist obviously
Good to know, thanks! I remember hearing about the 215DU when they came out with it but I don't personally use/trust Oraguard calendared laminates.

I'll check that Mactac one out though.