• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

issue with printing this gradient

QuickSilver2605

been using the HP L25500 for three + years, print lots of wraps, high end graphics. I have never encountered this issue. tried several different ways to create this gradient but no matter what I do i get this blue line at the end of the gradient. started in Photoshop with a layer style, then tried the gradient tool and layer mask with gradient tool. Also tried to make it in illustrator. I've tried several different file formats. Rasterized and not rasterized. shifted the colors and still always end up with the same result. I don't understand what is going on, this is such a simple print, just a gradient nothing else. I have attached photos all with the different ways they were created. If anyone knows a solution that would be great

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20151210_161528.jpg
    20151210_161528.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,462
  • 20151210_161539.jpg
    20151210_161539.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 537
Raster file formats (such as TIF or JPG) would be less prone to misinterpreting the gradient in the RIP. I am assuming that you have taken the step of opening the raster file*same on that is being printed) back in PS after creating it, to verify that the defect isn't file-based, correct?

Assuming that the file isn't the cause of the issue, that leaves the RIP and media profile. You don't mention which RIP you are using, but you might test with a different media product/ media profile to see if the issue is consistent across medias?

Paul

iladi

Open the file in Photoshop and add 1% noise to it, then save as a tif file. You may also want to play with RGB / CMYK setup and see what gives you the best results.

noisegeek

Given that it's occurring in several different file formats, it may be an error in the ICC profile. Easiest way to check would be to print a Granger Rainbow (you can download one here: http://colorremedies.com/realworldcolor/downloads/GrangerRainbow.tif.zip), and see if you see any inversions or severe banding (some banding is likely, but it should be progressive.).
If you see any inversion, you'll need to build a new profile, taking care to get the linearization smooth.

scott pagan

check the source file that the gradient is built in CMYK values instead of spot (PMS) colors. on gradients built with spot colors the spot colors will fall off at a point and sometimes create a gray-ish midpoint, where a file built with the percentage values will mathematically blend together giving a smoother color to color gradient blend.

if you're getting unacceptable step banding from the RIP, you can create the gradient as a raster file in photoshop, add 1-2% noise to break up the steps a bit, and then add a 'blur' (or 'blur more') to hide the noise addition. should print very smoothly.

QuickSilver2605

Raster file formats (such as TIF or JPG) would be less prone to misinterpreting the gradient in the RIP. I am assuming that you have taken the step of opening the raster file*same on that is being printed) back in PS after creating it, to verify that the defect isn't file-based, correct?

Assuming that the file isn't the cause of the issue, that leaves the RIP and media profile. You don't mention which RIP you are using, but you might test with a different media product/ media profile to see if the issue is consistent across medias?

Paul

using onyx 10, have tried tiff, jpeg, eps, pdf, rasterized, not rasterized. print files look fine. media makes no difference, tried shiffting colors with no luck.

QuickSilver2605

Open the file in Photoshop and add 1% noise to it, then save as a tif file. You may also want to play with RGB / CMYK setup and see what gives you the best results.

tried all that too. like I said not first rodeo. we do a lot of intense graphics and yet this simple file wont print correctly

QuickSilver2605

Given that it's occurring in several different file formats, it may be an error in the ICC profile. Easiest way to check would be to print a Granger Rainbow (you can download one here: http://colorremedies.com/realworldcolor/downloads/GrangerRainbow.tif.zip), and see if you see any inversions or severe banding (some banding is likely, but it should be progressive.).
If you see any inversion, you'll need to build a new profile, taking care to get the linearization smooth.

have no issues with other transitions or gradients. tried this and looks good. I just don't understand it

Andriy

have no issues with other transitions or gradients. tried this and looks good. I just don't understand it

May have been done by you already but have you tried rotating it to see if you're still getting it?

Also in Onyx, try to switch Media ICC profiles around to Off/On/3M etc... in Job Editor, that could give you some different results.

And if that doesn't work, try to just print it through Photo Preview and see if it may be a RIP issue.