• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Issues fitting one way vision and etch to windows

heyskull

I have a few jobs lately that are failing when applied to glass in etch and printed one way vision.
My thoughts on this is that there is some sort of coating on the glass surface that is impeding adhesion.

SC

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 123
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 72

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
We use seal tape on all window perf now. Too many failures. With the holes on the exposed edges, you're just asking for trouble otherwise

Definitely trim in 1/4" and use edge seal tape (Grimco carries it - I'd bet all the vinyl suppliers do). Make sure to thoroughly wash the windows and then wipe down with alcohol. It's always worse when the background color is black or really dark. I seem to be having more issues over the last year or so also.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
If you go too tight to the rubber seal, edges just won't stick good, any adhesive even touching rubber will fail. Another issue is window mfgrs also use silicone to set the seal, there could also be some on the very edge of the glass along the seal, almost impossible to detect, making it another fail point if you trim tight along the seal. Once they start releasing, it just keeps getting worse.

I always trim perf back a bit from the seal like Krissy said to do, this alone helps prevent many of those problems. That's all I usually do for short term perf applications, for longer term installations, adding sealing tape and having that continuous adhesive seal is the way to go. Another thing for long term is, don't just wipe down with alcohol, give the window a thorough proper cleaning first followed by alcohol, exterior glass collects a lot of different dirt & contaminates that alcohol alone won't remove. I do the same process as window washers, soapy solution with a window brush, sometimes even run a wider scraper lightly over the glass when it's wet (if it's really grimy or doesn't get regular cleanings), squeege it off, then final clean it with alcohol. Sounds like a lot, but it only takes a couple minutes.

mkmie

Lost Soul
Definitely trim in 1/4" and use edge seal tape (Grimco carries it - I'd bet all the vinyl suppliers do). Make sure to thoroughly wash the windows and then wipe down with alcohol. It's always worse when the background color is black or really dark. I seem to be having more issues over the last year or so also.
I agree with everything you stated. I would like to add that it isn't necessary to buy edge seal tape. The end rolls of cast laminate can be trimmed to whatever size width you would like. 4 swipes on the Keen Cut and I have 18 feet of edge tape, I prefer 1/2" but have done 1/4".

heyskull

I have had some horrific failures of cut LG Etch LC5510 of late which was to some replacement bar windows (very rough place!).
This had been applied exactly the same way with the same roll and within days it was falling of the window, as if some sort of coating was affecting it.
Cleaning and preparation have not changed and when it is applied it feels like it has a very good grab to the window and doesn't touch the edges and is failing on the inner cut parts.
I have now replaced the etch three times but it keeps failing.
I can now only think that either there is some sort of coating on the new glass or the material has a fault.

SC

ikarasu

Yellotools makes a really nice tool that allows you to cut 1/8 of an inch and a perfectly straight line on Windows.. we used to do it by hand, tool paid for itself in one job.

We also switched to using the liquid sealant, we still carry around a roll of tape, but the liquid goes on fast and seals it just as good.

We wrapped a submarine and had to edge seal everything, the liquid made it so much faster and looked better in the end.. every single time we have to restart the tape you get a fingerprint in it... So you waste an inch of tape which isn't the end of the world, but it means double The cutting.... And the liquid sealant makes going around curves and other areas way better, not really an issue if you're just doing windows, but it's good to have the tape and the liquid on hand.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Could be what you're using to clean and prep your windows. Are you using windex or something similar ?? That's a big no/no.

heyskull

How i prep and clean the windows is what I have used for decades with no issues.
The window company that is used to replace the glass is not being very helpful. It is as if there is a coating on the glass but it shouldn't matter.
Has anyone else come across glass panels with a coating?

SC