• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Issues from printer sitting inactive (not using enough) Roland SolJet Pro III XC-540

Jumpshoutmedia

Hey Forum.

I bought a Roland SoleJet Pro III (xc-540) about 5 years ago as a demo unit from the ISA show.

Let me give you a little back story here to understand my situation.

I work for a family business (nothing to do with the sign industry), and some years back, I realized how much money we were spending on outsourcing our printed, and cut vinyl decals.

Well, having a graphic design background, I decided to start a little side business, and do all the decals, banners and signs for our company.

I don't take on any side work, I pretty much only service my families business when they need stuff done, and it's been working out as a great way to earn a little extra income outside my 9-5.

The problem is, since I only go down to my workshop 2-3 times a month (at most), I tend to let the IJ sit, inactive, for sometimes weeks at a time.

I understand the risks of letting an IJ sit too long (drying out the heads, etc), so I always make sure that I leave the main power "on" when I leave.

I was told by Roland that if I put the machine to sleep by holding the (Front panel) power button down, until it says, "please wait..." that it would go into a state where it's "asleep" but will still do occasional purges, thus keeping the heads from drying out.

My concern is, it seems like occasionally I'll walk into the shop, and hear the printer vacuum motor running, and I'll hear a "trouble beep" indicating that the printer is out of ink!

My question is, am I following the correct procedure for leaving the machine unattended for periods of time:

1. Main Power (rear) ON
2. Front power (machine state) sleep
3. Material loaded
4. Grit rollers engaged (ready to print)

I've never really had a problem with print quality, save for the time I had a bad capping station seal, and a head needed some pretty good soaking to bring it back to life, but I'm concerned about the situation where it's doing "something" that's causing it run out of ink.

Does the machine actually fire up and do it's own light cleanings based on timed intervals? or does it just purge a little ink?

Are there any settings in the actual menu's I should be aware of, to help either reduce unnecessary cleanings (causing the ink to run out) or to increase, in order to extend the life of the printer?

Thanks.

player

1. Main Power (rear) ON
2. Front power (machine state) sleep
3. Material loaded
4. Grit rollers engaged (ready to print)

Why would you leave the pinch rollers engaged if you are not using it?

The front power is on though?

You should be doing manual cleanings every week or 2. Have you ever done a manual clean?

You should be doing test prints weekly to ensure all nozzles are firing correctly. Also print something to move ink periodically.

Not sure about your ink loss. But be sure it is set to do a regular clean not medium or powerful, if that's a possibility...

You should also be checking and emptying the waste ink bottle.

Do you keep a cover over it for dust protection? I use shower curtains that have plastic on 1 side and soft fabric on the other.

How big are your cartridges? How often are they empty? how much ink will be left from your use?

The thing that will kill your heads is dried ink and bad caps.

What is your ink configuration? What series of head(s) do you have?

rjssigns

When I'm done printing for the day, week, whatever I unload the media and just walk away. It will go to sleep and go into idle/maintenance all by itself.

Tizz

+1 After printing I just leave the printer on. Media un loaded and will auto sleep on its own.
I've got into the habit of running a test print to check that all nozzles are firing before printing. If needed I run a clean and if it's sat idle for more than 2 days.

Just ensure your caps are good, plenty of ink in the carts and an empty waste tank. But try and run it at least weekly.