Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issues Printing on 3M CV2

Discussion in 'Roland' started by peavey123, Sep 2, 2008.

1. peavey123

peavey123 Active Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Hi Guys, I was wondering if anyone here has run into any banding issues while printing reds specifically Pantone 485 C. I'm printing a corporate logo and the 485 red bands like CRAZY no matter what i try. The greens on the same logo print beautifully. I'm stumped anyone have any suggestions? I know digital printers aren't meant for printing solid colours but over the weekend I printed an entire wrap with reds on it and there wasn't any banding. This red is killing me here...lol

I've tried changing the heater settings, print speed, calibration, bi-directional settings...more pinch wheels, less pinch wheels...

I am running the lastest versaworks on a roland VP540v.

Tags:
  2. rdm01

rdm01 Very Active Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Portland Metro Area
    485C is one of the hardest colors to hit. Banding can often be solved by
    adjusting media feed, not allowing the printer to take directly off of the roll,
    and profile tweaking. One other was is to print in uni-directional mode. A bit
    slower, but often solves banding problems in hard to hit colors.

3. peavey123

peavey123 Active Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I've noticed! :thankyou:

I haven't tried uni-directional. I'll try that. Thanks.

4. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

Dunno what printer you're using but on our JV3 the closest thing I can get to 485 is actually just a CMYK mix: C3, M100, Y100, K7.5. It comes out pretty nice but I don't think process printing can perfectly match 485. Also, for the banding, if possible, try taking the image into photoshop and appling 2-3% monochromatic noise to the area, sometimes that will help knock down any banding seen with solid colors. And when in doubt, increase the number of passes, switch to unidirectional and slow the head down.

5. peavey123

peavey123 Active Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    K I have it working without any banding. I am using the "high Quality" setting (thank god these are small prints) uni-directional. Going to take forever but no banding :) haha

:thankyou: