• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

issues with thin polystyren on the FB700

LeiftheLucky

Recently (6mo) got a Scitex FB700 and am loving it and have been able to troubleshoot most issues but have been having an ongoing battle with thin polystyrene. We had an old laminator that we were trying to faze out which I thought would never work but our sales team has basically eliminated our need for the machine by selling thin (rollable into tubes) styrene instead. My problem is that the stuff is a total pain in the ***...

Besides the fact that handling 4' x 8' styrene by myself without it buckling has proved to have quite the learning curve, there is also the issue of this happening to the client with the finished product. We are offering this material as an alternative to laminated paper to try and phase out out oversized laminator which is on its way out and have been quite successful with it b ut styren comes with a whole new set of issues. styrene this thin is not nearly as durable as lamination and has been a ***** to print on. I'm hoping that you guys might have some ideas on some solutions.

The machine loves to smear on it to the point where I push margins out a few inches and have raised the head height as far as i can to try and be able to cut off or avoid the marks, but I still end up losing a lot of jobs or having to go in by hand with alcohol and hand erase marks from white areas. Tech support said maybe vacuum issue, maybe static/conductivity issue, maybe head/delay issues.. I feel like I've played with most of these options and wiping boards better and using anti static spray seems to help but I'm still getting black clouds a lolt of the time.

is there a better styrene or other material (rigidish, not Vinyl) to use for this purpose, or any other ideas that might shed some light on this dilemma. It would be gratefully appreciated.. Thanks guys

C

ColoPrinthead

We tape down the leading and side edges of styrene to the belt of our FB700. Lately I have become a fan on securing all edges to a sheet of max metal before it through the machine.

ChrisN

I don't have any tips for printing styrene on your HP, but as an alternate media, Synaps might be what you're looking for. It's available from Agfa/Pitman & RTape, and is billed as "a next generation synthetic print media". It's semi-rigid (similar to card stock), available in a few different thicknesses, and comes on a roll.

LeiftheLucky

Thanks for responses :)

We don't print on metal but it looks as if we could get a sheet from grimco for fairly inexpensive if its going to solve these issues. Do you use this as a backer to avoid the static issues or just because its rigid? If its a rigidity thing I could just tape it to Gator I guess. the thing is it doesnt seem to be catching corners or anything. If its bubbling its not at an edge its in the middle which wouldnt be solved by taping the edge. This is why I'm thinking it might be more static, heat, or vacuum related.

For other reply, Synaps looks interesting, I'm looking into trying to get a sample

Thanks guys!!

VISCOM

Hey Chris, Jeff from VISCOM in New Cumberland PA... man I'm glad we went to a CET true flatbed !!!!!!!!! I remember nightmares with that on my AGFA M2

C

ColoPrinthead

We don't print on metal but it looks as if we could get a sheet from grimco for fairly inexpensive if its going to solve these issues. Do you use this as a backer to avoid the static issues or just because its rigid? If its a rigidity thing I could just tape it to Gator I guess. the thing is it doesnt seem to be catching corners or anything. If its bubbling its not at an edge its in the middle which wouldnt be solved by taping the edge. This is why I'm thinking it might be more static, heat, or vacuum related.

For other reply, Synaps looks interesting, I'm looking into trying to get a sample

Thanks guys!!
I use it just because it is rigid and I have it near the machine at all times.