• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Itemized quoting?

TCBinaflash

I recently sent a client a quote for window signage at 3 different locations.
They are asking me for an itemized breakdown of costs per application.

I quoted using an all inclusive price. Because I've priced using the whole job and the volume of work it is.

I just know they are going to use the low price I gave them for the whole job and come to me saying they only want 1 window done at the rate quoted if I we're doing all 3 locations.

How do I avoid this or handle it tactfully (4 quotes)?

Thanks!

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Quote as if you were going to price them as a single item, then on another line add a note that there is a discount added for the whole job. It is what it is... it's good business to offer a volume discount, it's bad business to bust your butt on some small chump single window sign if they start breaking apart your bid... you have to remain profitable.

heyskull

I constantly get people trying to get me to quote for large orders and try and get the same cost on a single item!
I would explain the original costing was all 3 units and the price would change if only one is order to be taken.
The easy answer to this is give them what they want.
Re-quote the whole job as single jobs, thus making it more expensive!
If the customer asks why you will realise they were trying to pull a fast one and were never willing to get the bulk order.
Please stick to your guns on these ammended prices as we all know the customer thinks he is always right..

SC

proline51

have had this happen to our shop. guy has 4 trailers (25 feet long). wanted them all decaled the same. i gave him a price for one trailer, and a total price if all 4 were done, with a 15% discount. i told him i would charge him full price on the first three, and when the fourth one was done, that is where he would see his 15% discount on the whole job, "IF" all 4 trailers were done within the next 45 days. guess what? so far they only got the one trailer done, and i got paid full price. and now the 45 days is up, so anything else will be for full price, or the same deal.:peace!:

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
I'd quote the job just like Rick mentioned. Many customers will try that approach especially with multiple vehicle work.

oldest customer 'trick' in the book. the way i have always dealt with it is something like this...
customer "i've got a fleet of 10 trucks to letter how much of a discount will you give me"
me "i'll letter the first 9 at full price and do the 10th for free"

i can not count how many times customers have thrown this 'trick' out there..i can count on one hand how many of them have actually ended up happening...