• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

It's Here.................... !!!!

player

Bob have checked your temperature lately?

You are always ranting and delirious. I am worried you may have yellow fever. :smile:

player

This is what you need:

[video=youtube;zrWx8yxtsWo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrWx8yxtsWo[/video]

As well as this:

[video=youtube;gcIwrdeP21s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcIwrdeP21s[/video]

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't care whose right or wrong, the temperature is frickin cold when you're out in it for hours on end. Especially walking with 40 and 50 mph winds blowing right at you. Was out in it for 4 hours yesterday clearing my driveway and making a path around my house. We ended up with almost 30". More than the stoopid weather people predicted with all of their spactaculor equipment. Any fool could look out the window and say, It's snowingggggggg. Today, we're gonna go over to the shop and clear that out. Around these parts, ya have 24 hours to clear your property or get fined. Both our snowblowers are on treads like that, player. Had treads on our equipment for years. Our driveway is about a 35° incline and if ya wanna get back up chains and tires won't cut it. We had a new driveway put in 3 years ago (close to $20,000), so rather than have some cowboy with chains on his tires breaking it up, I got a new snowblower for the house and tretired the old one to the shop. The shop won't take near as long. At home the driveway is about 150' down the hill and the top portion is about 25' × 100'. My plow was under the snow for the most part, yesterday. When I went back to clean off what more had fallen, it was about 5 or 6 more inches. Had a heck of a workout yesterday.

:rock-n-roll:

Signmaker1234

Blah

Way toooooooooo much snow for me!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 109

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
Only received about a foot here.

Monday will be clear of Transits in the incoming lot day.

I hate clear off the Transits in the incoming lot day!

As for today - Go Pats! :)

ddarlak

Go Bills!
You insufferable ninny, no one said that wind was pleasant.

What was said was the 'wind chill' has nothing to do with the actual temperature and is a rather misleading way to describe effort needed to raise or maintain a temperature above ambient. Since, it's assumed here, that your temperature is somewhat above ambient at around 98.6ºF** if the wind is blowing, depending on velocity, you have to burn more calories to maintain that temperature than if the air were still. It does not mean that you will freeze any harder or freeze at all if the air is above 32ºF.

Moreover, weather clowns love wind chill if they're going on about how cold it is or is going to be because it sounds so much more dramatic than the relatively boring air temperature. Which, of course, is the actual temperature.

** 98.6ºF was the result of a rather unscientific study in done the late 19th century. More of a poll than a study. Normal human temperature is actually a small range and its mean is a bit lower than 98.6ºF.

OK, nitwit,

i'll bite,

once again your stuck in bobville, where you thing your uber-intelligence is the end all.

when I look at the weather forecast and it tells me it's going to be 20, with out the wind chill it tells me nothing. I can put a sign up outside if it's 20 with a sweatshirt if there is no wind. if it's 20 with 25 MPH winds, I won't even go outside.

so wind chill is a great way to tell me how cold it REALLY is out...because in the end I could give a rats a$$ what the ambient temp is, as opposed to the real temp my body feels when i'm outside

reality bob, try it some time....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Like bob says, the temperature is just one item of the overall gist of things. The wind chill, however, is what most people determine how they'll dress or if they'll even go outside. The wind chill takes into account the amount of moisture in the air and then also the breeze or wind gusts. Combined, they make up what our core temperature will tolerate.

All I know is....... frickin cold is cold when the wind is blowing. I don't care what you call it, it's just frickin cold.

Jillbeans

How much snow did you end up getting, Gino?
We had a grand total of 2" here in Butler, but my man friend in Somerset got 35½"
PA turnpike still closed, too, in that area.
Love...Jill

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just under 30" at home. Did the house yesterday and the shop today. The shop was around 24" or so.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Gino,
can't you guys zero out the wind chill factor with some of these?
windchill.png

I'm thinking they could be useful here to help prevent sunburn in awkward places.

wayne k
guam usa

Marlene

not sure how things work on planet bob but around here the wind chill is a factor when being outside. no one said it changes the temp, they say when speaking of the wind chill that it makes it "feel" like a lower temp. jsut to test this the next time it is -25 here and they say the wind chill makes it feel like -45, I suggest you drop in dressed for -25 and see how long that works for you

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
not sure how things work on planet bob but around here the wind chill is a factor when being outside. no one said it changes the temp, they say when speaking of the wind chill that it makes it "feel" like a lower temp. jsut to test this the next time it is -25 here and they say the wind chill makes it feel like -45, I suggest you drop in dressed for -25 and see how long that works for you

"Dressed for -25º?" There in your village you dress for 20º temperature differences? When it gets down to around freezing most folk in these parts simply put on whatever they have. +32º to -32º and beyond, you suit up with your winter tackle. It matters little to nothing what the temperature is beyond 'cold'.

The point, lost as it usually is, being that 'wind chill' is not the temperature. Not the effective temperature. Not the what it feels like temperature. It is, however, a decent discomfort indicator but around here no one needs to be told that the wind is unpleasant and uncomfortable. Regardless of air temperature.

Marlene

it goes beyond discomfort. there are times when it is +20 which is summer weather around here but "feels" like -20. it decides how long scholl kids can be outside, workers and such. if you don't feel it is a factor life, have at it but for the rest of us, we listen and take care to dress extra warmly for the day. same goes with the heat index. you might not get heat stroke at 80 degrees but if the heat index is high, you can.