• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

It's not banding... but what is it?

mikeinpdx

I see this with my Roland on IJ180 & glossy medias. It's not really banding that can be fixed by calibration, it is something that is mostly visible with reflected light - if you're looking straight down at the media, you don't see it, only when you're viewing at an angle and light is reflected. This is bidi mode, but it's also there in uni as well. I don't see it on matte media.

Attachments

• rolandij180.jpg
    rolandij180.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 72

mikeinpdx

OK :) Maybe that's not the right way to have titled the post.

This isn't a calibration banding issue, I know it's calibrated, and it's not the fine lines you'd expect from that being off. And it's almost invisible straight on, only when I look from the side.

If I go to uni, it's still there. Slow the head speed down, still see it. Lower / raise temps, still see it. Matte media - don't see it. Different profiles, still see it. But only on gloss and usually only on dark colors.

It's not a big issue, ie it's not something that noticable, especially after lamination, it just ticks me off that I can't fix it :)

the graphics co

you may need to find a better profile for the material all profiles are not created equal. Or, you can try to increase the quality mode for the print.

mikeinpdx

It's standard quality. High Quality will just give smaller bands. I'll try cranking the heat +/- 5 and see what happens, maybe I wasn't going far enough...

Gene@mpls

I get that on my VP540- I understand it to be chromatic banding (like mowing grass bi-directional?). What printer do you have- I am looking at a VSi with
cmykX2 and they claim it cures this. Gene

guitarguy69

Could also be deflected nozzles. Just because all nozzles are present, doesn't mean they are all directed where they should be.