• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

IVB/LMK question?

Jillbeans

For the ancient ones:
I have a 4B that I use sometimes. I mainly use a 4E, but to me it is seeming to have a few issues lately with cuts skipping (mainly vertical) or not meeting at the corners.
I did replace the Theta belt last year. I think this might be a manual blade depth setting issue, but I am getting sick of the trial and error method.
The old 4B seemed to be more reliable.
I would like to hook it up again.
Although it works without the LMK, it seemed that the module helped it, memory-wise*. However, I cannot for the life of me remember where to plug it in!
Does it go into a font slot, and if so, which one? And once it's in, is that it?
Are there any special settings in Composer?
Pardon my ignorance.
When I got the used 4E I assumed it would need the LMK, so I unplugged it from the 4B lo these past 4 years ago. At this time, Gerber still supported the machine and I was able to get a good tecchie to help me rig up the 4E.
:thumb:
Once my truck is paid off I plan to try and find a used Envision or similar and come up out of the dark ages. If nobody has an answer, I will tinker with the 4E some more. And yes, my sprockets are clean and my metal bars are oiled.
:thankyou:
Love....Jill
*memory meaning, the 4B with the LMK did not seem to feel the need to spool backwards to home after every certain length increment like the 4E does, and the 4E sometimes will not cut the second panel in stacked jobs (only the first and third!)

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The LMK card (Lettering Machine Kit) plugs into the motherboard next to a larger plugin card. It does not go into a font slot. It does not add any memory or power to the machine. It's purpose is to provide a connection point for a PC to send data to the plotter from Graphix Advantage or Omega software. In addition to the LMK card, it is supplied with a cable that plugs into the card and has a comm port connector on its other end.

The difference between the 4B and the 4E was the comparative smarts of the motherboard ... the 4B being the smarter and the 4E being a late entry to market that was scaled back to bring the price down.

The older Gerber plotters were all built like tanks and all shared the same tendency to exhibit poor cut quality when they were in need of cleaning and lubrication. In addition to keeping the shiny metal shafts clean, they also benefit from a coating of sewing machine or 3-in-one oil. In addition, there is a lubrication point often missed by owners which is a hole in the bronze oilite bearing inside the tool head. If you remove the cover for the tool head, you will see it surrounding the shiny metal shaft that goes through the tool head. The hole is on the underside so you have to rotate the shaft to bring it to the top. It requires one drop of oil every six months.

If you replaced the theta belt yourself, did you also loosen the collar clamp on the rotation mechanism, home the blade and retighten the collar clamp? If you did not, that will result in unacceptable cut quality. If you need help with how to do this, give me a call when you are in front of the machine and ready to do the adjustment. You will need a Phillips screwdriver and a set of Allen wrenches. I am PMing you my phone number.

Finally, there is a part named a Theta Washer that helps with cut quality as well. It is a thin washer that fits over the blade holder and is made of teflon. It lubricates and reduces friction between the blade holder and the chrome lifting fork on top of the tool head. If you don't have one, they can be ordered for a few dollars each from your Gerber distributor. While you're looking at the tool head, also inspect the lifting fork for excessive wear. If it is visibly worn, it would cause too deep a cut. Order a replacement for it if you see excessive wear.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
OK . . . I'm Young !, but twice as old as Flamey !

garfield_coffee.gif
Chronologically perhaps.
dog42.gif