• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I've heard it all now!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
There is one dentist here maybe 3 miles from my house that charges $290.00 for cleaning. Now, I don't go to them mind you, but that was a shocker when I got a little flier that had a coupon for new clients and the regular price was that.

Is this something new?
I've been out of the states for decades and did not know they now have dental services available in Tennessee.

wayne k
guam usa

jasonx

I had a guy last week tell me to go to h#ll becocoz he could get engraved badges with instructions for his excavatar for $4 each.
God only kbnows what badges he was talking about. Maybe the ones that the staff wear on their uniforms???
The irony of this whole saga is that 12 months ago they asked me to come and give them some pricing on work they needed done. The clinic is a 20 minute drive for me, and I was asked to take a seat and wait 15 minutes for the "office Manager" to meet with me. The black Arial lettering @ 25mm (1") high copy needed some new names added. I suggested white would look better on the glass considering the background of the clear substrate but was told that they were extremely happy with what they had. OK And then the directory board out the front was way out of touch and I advised them that the best way was a black perspex cut to shape and fitted to existing would be the way to go blah blah blah and over 2 hours I was back at the office. We submitted the price and after weeks we were told that we were not successful in our bid but thank you for my time and the great ideas put forward.
Can anyone see why my blood boils?:frustrated:

Ring him and get him to quote a lot of engraving work and then two weeks later tell him he was unsuccessful. Spec it out on a lot of materials and send him files in Adobe or Corel and get him to quote it all up. When he asks why he can't open the files tell him he needs to buy the software.

:)

mark galoob

better yet, make him drive his happy 25k ass the 20 min to your shop, make him wait 20 minutes, then take 2 hrs of his time.

what a moron...

mark galoob

Esmae

Last I checked this is still America. You guys are all wet.

It's America, where you can succeed by working hard and working smart

Enough with the sour grapes.

Sorry, unless i'm missing something, but last I checked the original poster "Dave Drane" is from Australia and is talking about an Australian dentist.

These same type of posts are all over Signs101, this is just one with a different story. It's all the same deal with vinyl cutters and now solvent printers. You know the customers you used to rely on for their business are now buying this equipment too, to do their own caryards, shopfronts, yard signs etc. etc. Isn't this the place to go where you can vent your frustrations?

Last edited:

threeputt

Sorry, unless i'm missing something, but last I checked the original poster "Dave Drane" is from Australia and is talking about an Australian dentist.

These same type of posts are all over Signs101, this is just one with a different story. It's all the same deal with vinyl cutters and now solvent printers. You know the customers you used to rely on for their business are now buying this equipment too, to do their own caryards, shopfronts, yard signs etc. etc. Isn't this the place to go where you can vent your frustrations?

Ok, I stand corrected. The OP is indeed from a different country. But....most of the people replying are
indeed from the US of A.

So there's that.

Secondly, I stand by my comments. What kind of world do you want to live in? Communist China? A place where a dentist isn't permitted to engrave? Why?

In my own town, we have a large mill site that has their own vinyl cutting equipment. Make their own signs. Do you think I spend any time worrying about that? H*ll no.

Finally, yeah, you can rant here. Maybe it makes you feel better. If so, great.

WildWestDesigns

Secondly, I stand by my comments. What kind of world do you want to live in? Communist China?

You do realize the irony there? China is actually more free market driven then we are right now. I can't speak for the rest of their operation, but when it comes to business they are more open then we are. They aren't even what could be considered fully communist, they are actually more of a hybrid, something that they have to be with an emerging middle class.

threeputt

WWD, my point is this.

There's so much moaning and groaning on this forum regarding "unfair" business competition. Boo Hoo.

I say be glad you live in a country whereby someone, anyone, can start up a business and thrive.

But please know, that sword cuts both ways. If it's possible and even advantageous, to get into business for yourself...then why do people point their finger at others who are doing nothing but the very same thing.

And maybe doing it better. Is that it?

So, okay maybe China isn't as regulated as it once was. And maybe citing that country isn't the best example. I'll give you that.

But Geezus it gets tiring hearing forum members cry about their plight. If you can't make it here, then you've got serious problems.

H*ll take a few business classes, read some books, find out what it takes,...that's all I'm saying.

Got no quarrel with you or anyone in particular here. But there's so many cry babies on here. Guess I'm old enough now to have collected a few bumps and bruises along the way.

WildWestDesigns

WWD, my point is this.

There's so much moaning and groaning on this forum regarding "unfair" business competition. Boo Hoo.

But Geezus it gets tiring hearing forum members cry about their plight. If you can't make it here, then you've got serious problems.

H*ll take a few business classes, read some books, find out what it takes,...that's all I'm saying.

Got no quarrel with you or anyone in particular here. But there's so many cry babies on here. Guess I'm old enough now to have collected a few bumps and bruises along the way.

I agree with you on that, that was just a tangent on my end.

You wouldn't believe how many people are in the horse business here, a helluva lot more then signs(only 2 shops that I'm aware of for signs in this town, but 18 barns). Each barn though delivers things in a slightly different way and that sets them apart. That's what you have to do is set yourself a part some how. Either through products(hard to do, but not impossible in either business) or in service and quality.

You'll also have your floaters, those that come from person to person and then eventually make the rounds again. Either due to price reasons or due to each shop does something better then the others, but not all.

However(and this may just be me), there are some businesses that I think people should make their primary and their only business. Dental being one. I don't want a dentist doing my root canal and then taking orders for engraved trophies. As a person that runs two businesses, sometimes they do get intangled and it's hard to keep them seperate.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
China is actually more free market driven then we are right now.

sure they can do what ever they want.... just wait until their love canals start popping up everywhere....

China's in for a world of hurting when their middle class starts wanting flat screen TV's....

itzdeb

Dave, after much research for a qualified dentist to perform a root canal and create a crown for me, I found one in the town next to us and they happened to accept my insurance, were in network, and very qualified, great peronality and experienced.

Not only was there no pain but they chaeged me 1/4 of what I would pay elsewhere..

What I have been putting off b/c some dentists say they will accept one's insurance, but they fail to tell patients that they are not in network and you may get a 10% off.

And, this dentist was right there for the Belividere wall dog event back 14 years ago, the office is around them.

What my point is, that there are still some professionals that are qualified and show true respect..they are certainly rare though.

Glad I asked someone that had my same insurance, and it was just a chance that I learned that..It's interesting where one might find the best info, that is for sure.

:goodpost:

WildWestDesigns

Dave, after much research for a qualified dentist to perform a root canal and create a crown for me, I found one in the town next to us and they happened to accept my insurance, were in network, and very qualified, great peronality and experienced.

Not only was there no pain but they chaeged me 1/4 of what I would pay elsewhere..

What I have been putting off b/c some dentists say they will accept one's insurance, but they fail to tell patients that they are not in network and you may get a 10% off.

And, this dentist was right there for the Belividere wall dog event back 14 years ago, the office is around them.

What my point is, that there are still some professionals that are qualified and show true respect..they are certainly rare though.

Glad I asked someone that had my same insurance, and it was just a chance that I learned that..It's interesting where one might find the best info, that is for sure.

:goodpost:

That brings up a point about dentist's prices. I think some of them charge as high as some of us have sign, because they expect people to have insurance to cover it. For those that have insurance that they accept.