• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Jack Daniel's logo

Southpaw1

...that's a big assumption. EVER??! I figured this forum was about sharing resources, and I have shared some myself. Ive looked where i know of online. If you had other resources to help I'd hope you would share them, but Since you apparently don't have what I need then the thread can now be open for those who actually are assets.
And Happy Thanksgiving

shoresigns

It's an obvious common courtesy to post an image of what you want identified.

Sure, I could Google it myself, but I just did and I discovered that there are multiple versions of the Jack Daniels "Old No 7" lettering, done in different styles. So which one do you want? Post an image and maybe someone will help you.

Southpaw1

Screenshot_20181122-125923_Gallery.jpg

...that's a big assumption. EVER??! I figured this forum was about sharing resources, and I have shared some myself. Ive looked where i know of online. If you had other resources to help I'd hope you would share them, but Since you apparently don't have what I need then the thread can now be open for those who actually are assets.
And Happy Thanksgiving

Did you hear about google? I typed in 'jack daniels vector' and -believe it or not- got about 1000 freely downloadable vector files. It's literally one of the most used designs by tshirt makers and if you say you checked it on google before asking here I'll eat my hat.

Christian @ 2CT Media

here, let me link the first google result for you : https://seeklogo.com/vector-logo/74628/jack-daniel-s
you're welcome
Yet, you didn't stop to ask if he was recreating the logo or just liked the font for another project?

The amount of assumption in your attitude filled response is not really necessary, I hope that you are not at 1 point in need of help and are only met with disdain. This forum has slowly declined in help and usefulness and has quickly become a but swinging complaint fest.

To the OP, I have no idea on the font... I have tried 3 resources I have and it doesn't really show a strong match that I can find.

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker

I'm still confused as to what in the world your asking for....

People really have a hard time communicating there needs lately. Not sure if it's laziness or what, but being a little more specific in your needs would yield a better result. We can't get inside your head over the internet.... yet.

Are you looking for a vector of the logo? Are you looking for the font? Can you formulate your need better so people can understand it?

oel10

I can vector draw anything
But like most mentioned you can Google or brandsoftheworld.com

What are you trying to typset? Just the company logo or some other information?

Hit me up if you need a clean vector file

shoresigns

In any case, you're not likely to find a font that matches anything on a Jack Daniel's label. Those type of decorative labels for large beverage companies are almost always custom lettering. Not just the logo, but often most of the other lettering is custom, too. If you find that hard to believe, have a look at the work of Ian Brignell. His work for Budweiser is a good example – even the smaller text is done in custom type that he designed specifically for Budweiser.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
rjsigns said:
Wouldn't using that be copyright infringement?

Technically it would be trademark infringement.

Unless the sign company was using the Jack Daniels logo for an approved advertising display, such as POP signage at a liquor store or an off premise billboard, the sign company could get in legal trouble for creating graphics using that trademark. One example of blatant trademark infringement is someone making a bunch of contour cut vinyl stickers to sell directly to the general public. It's illegal merchandising. Some companies may turn a blind eye to that sort of thing. Then there are others, such as Disney, who are notorious for suing anyone they catch messing around with their logos, characters, etc.

Regarding web sites like Brands of the World and Seek Logo: use anything found there with caution. Some files may contain legit, authentic artwork acquired from corporate sources. Unfortunately there is a bunch that is fanboy-created stuff with varying levels of accuracy. Some of it might be "good" but a bunch is just garbage. Topping it off the files at those sites don't include brand usage rules, guidelines, official color specs, etc.

signbrad

Wouldn't using that be copyright infringement?

It's possible that the Jack Daniels logo is not protected by copyright, though the label design surely is.
Many logos do not meet the US government requirements for copyright protection, though many do. Some companies have attempted to register their logos for copyright protection but were denied. Some examples are Subway, Best Western and Geek Squad.
https://signbrad.com/2015/09/05/can-logos-receive-copyright-protection/

Also, it depends on how a protected work is used by the one copying it as to whether it is copyright infringement. There is a fair use defense that allows certain uses of a copyright-protected work without constituting infringement.

Of course, the Jack Daniels logo is very likely protected by trademark law and laws that protect trade dress. Trademark law is not specifically designed to prevent copying logos, but to prohibit the use of a name or mark in such a way that causes confusion among consumers. I am a member of a homebrewing club, for example, and I could easily replicate the Jack Daniels logo as part of a beer label. If my label is an original design, not just a copy of a whiskey bottle label, copyright infringement might not be the issue. But my use of the logo, or something similar to the logo, could conceivably give the impression that the distillery is producing the brew, or that my brew is endorsed by the distillery. It would be a trademark infringement.

Brad

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
A common word like "subway" cannot be copyrighted. But the Subway logo is indeed a registered trademark. The changes the company has made to its logo, such as re-fresh they did to their brand a year ago, are also protected.

signbrad said:
Of course, the Jack Daniels logo is very likely protected by trademark law and laws that protect trade dress. Trademark law is not specifically designed to prevent copying logos, but to prohibit the use of a name or mark in such a way that causes confusion among consumers.

A company's brand is one of their most valuable pieces of intellectual property. Trademark law does more than just protect consumers from being confused by seeing two nearly identical yet competing brands on a store shelf. Illegal merchandising is a big racket. If some third party is selling shirts or other stuff with a company's logo on it and that sale was not approved the owner of the brand can drag the offender into court over it.

There's a kitchen and bathroom counter top company in my town called Hard Rock Surfaces. Years ago when they first started out they incorporated the same "Hard Rock" lettering used in the Hard Rock Cafe and Hard Rock Hotel logos into their own logo. We didn't do any sign work for this company in the beginning (they went with a lower bid from another company). But we specifically warned them about the legal risks they were taking with their logo and suggested they change it. They didn't listen. They figured, "we're just in Lawton, Oklahoma; nobody is going to care." About a year ago they got sued for trademark infringement. They had to pay some kind of significant judgment to the Seminole Tribe (who now own Hard Rock) and had to immediately change their branding to something that did not look like the well known Hard Rock logo. But they were able to keep the name Hard Rock Surfaces.

My own opinion regarding use of well known brands: if the use isn't fully legit don't take the chance on it. With the kind of technology we have today on the Internet it doesn't take much work for a legal team to find infringing examples of a company's trademark. Going to court can be very expensive. Not many of us sign folks can afford that kind of hassle.