• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Jacking up a boat off the trailer

OCsteve

We are getting ready to put a partial wrap on a 19 ft boat for a high scholl bass fishing team. We need to raise the back of the boat up off the trailer about 18 inches. Don't even know where to begin. Anybody have any ideas. I did a search but found nothing.

OldPaint

19 ft boat????? not that heavy or big. your best shot to learn how to this is go to nearest MARINA..... they do it all the time WITHOUT A CRANE, BUCKET TRUCK or any thing other then a couple bottle jacks, 4 x 4's and knowing where to lift the boat.......WITHOUT PUNCHING A HOLE IN THE BOTTOM!!!!!!!!!!
somethings need PROFESSIONAL PEOPLE.

Mosh

Don't try this yourself. We have our boat (42' Fountain Lighting) cleaned every fall. The guys that do it know where to put the jacks and have special stands to support it. You are looking for trouble if that thing falls or gets damaged. Even a small 19' boat is too heavy to man-handle, even a fishing boat. I bet the motor is several hundred pounds alone. Partcial wrap, just design it do it can be done on the trailer.

G-Artist

Simple solution.

Use a scissors or hydraulic jack. If it isn't tall enough some 8"x8" scraps above or below it will help. That's what most shops and boat repair places use if they don't have an engine-type lift or overhead crane available

If they can lift my truck, they can easily lift a boat.

Mosh

If they can lift my truck, they can easily lift a boat.

Lift in the wrong spot and it is over. It looks and sounds simple, but I have been around boats my whole life. Trust me, one mess up is going to be thousands in repairs (on a boat that is not even worth as much as it would cost to fix). $30K boat dropped would be $20K to fix, ask your insurance man what he thinks first.

G-Artist

Come on down to the dozens of local boatyards in my neighborhood. You will see many scissor jacks in use.

I am willing to bet that if you have a collection of sign mags that cover boat wraps you will see the wrap shops using them as well in a pic or two. It's very common.

Common sense should always be applied.

I do not advocate using old milk crates like in the pic here. I prefer large Styrofoam blocks.

Attachments

• wrap1.jpg
    wrap1.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 111

Adam Bennett

we used a forklift with foam along the forks to lift this 24 footer

Attachments

• adam.jpg
    adam.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 163
Last edited by a moderator:

Mosh

Mosh, is there any water in Nebraska to even turn a 42' boat around in?

I have a house at Osage Beach, Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri.
the boat stays there. We also live right by the Missouri River, so thee is lots of boating going on in the summer time for me.

surf city

I have done 4 boats with partial wraps. I used styrofoam to wrap the forks of my skidsteer and lifted it that way. One of the marina guys told me they use a fork lift with styrofoam wrapped forks sometimes so I used my skidsteer. But, I gotta say I wasn't comfortable with doing it that way, like Mosh says it can be a huge costly fix if you screw up. After the last one I said screw it anymore boats will be done at the marina with a boat sling, why take chances. Just my thoughts.

zapblam

Boy did I go to the wrong school. High school fishing team, must be nice. I had to learn a sewing machine and a tablesaw instead lol.

ridefst

Wouldn't the eyes on the back be the "correct" place to lift from?
Thought that's what they were there for...