• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

January 20, 2020

WildWestDesigns

I am not a big fan at all of web browser-based applications. There's too much overhead for graphics app use. Nevertheless, that reminds me Corel also has a cloud based CorelDRAW app as yet another thing to throw on an already full plate for developers.

Not really at all, those that are resource heavy, tend to also do more with JS then they should and should utilize CSS more (can do a lot with CSS). Of course, you also have the differences between locally used (which can be harder to do with more of your CORS restrictions, unless want to do radically more coding) versus hosted on a server (of course, could be self hosted as well, mine are locally run, my games are self hosted).

Now, could take the same coding, wrap it up in an Electron framework (this is the type of app dev work that I do for in house apps) and boom, have the ability to easily deploy to all 3 major OSs with minimum code changes. The minimum comes in for the Mac versions and for me and my apps, that's usually how the menu bar is handled. There may be other things, but that's what greatly affects my app work.

Speaking of Electron, can take that CORS restriction and remove it very easily for a desktop app.

It all goes back to how things are coded. Most people nowadays rely on bootstrap for the CSS (which goes to why a lot of websites looking the same, all using the same libraries) and try to do everything with JS. That's where your performance is lost with heavy JS use. Mitigate that and have a far leaner web app or Electron app. This actually goes along with some people complaining that Flash is/was heavy as well. It's all in how you code. Both can be very lean as far as resources go, if properly coded.

The running joke at the Corel user forums seems to be along the lines that CDR 2020 will be the maintenance fix for CDR 2019 but you gotta buy or subscribe to it. Then who knows what version 2020 will break?

From what I can tell, no matter what, one is on the subscription route. How it starts may be different, but one is on it if getting any of the newer versions.

Honestly, that's what I would expect. Really, as long as it's on this yearly cadence, that's what it's going to feel like. Even if 2020 gets things right, the cycle could repeat by 2021. This is even a chance with Adobe as well. May not be as high as with Corel, but there is a chance of it happening as well.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I haven't seen Adobe "screw the pooch" on any CC releases quite like what Corel has done with version 2019. The biggest negative issue with Adobe in recent memory is the whole Dolby encoding thing. That's not a bug issue but rather a dispute over licensing fees.

WildWestDesigns

I haven't seen Adobe "screw the pooch" on any CC releases quite like what Corel has done with version 2019.

...This is even a chance with Adobe as well. May not be as high as with Corel, but there is a chance of it happening as well.

I didn't say that they did. All I said that there was even a chance of Adobe doing it as well. I even acknowledge that the risk may not (key word may) be even as high as Corel. Mainly due to Corel having this very issue.

Although their first release of Ps for Ipad wasn't greeted with the most stellar of reviews.