• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JF-1631 UV Light Not Firing Up

bgraphics

We have been plaqued with our UV lamps not firing up. I have gone 2 routes - purchased lamps from CureUV and swapped in the new bulb - I have also purchased OEM lamp cassettes from DigitprintSupplies. Both instances, the lamps will fire up for about 10 hrs, then nothing. The cureuv bulb will fire up some days, and not other days. I will swap cassette locations - the problems seem to follow the cassette, not the side of the heads that I put them on.

Any insight? Is this an indication of a short? A problem with the powersupply? Just bad lamps?

Saw Trax

Are you careful not to touch the bulbs with bare skin when installing? I've had them blow in the past because of finger prints when the operator didn't wear gloves installing the new bulbs.

- Larry

uvgerard

UV lamp ignition issues

We have been plaqued with our UV lamps not firing up. I have gone 2 routes - purchased lamps from CureUV and swapped in the new bulb - I have also purchased OEM lamp cassettes from DigitprintSupplies. Both instances, the lamps will fire up for about 10 hrs, then nothing. The cureuv bulb will fire up some days, and not other days. I will swap cassette locations - the problems seem to follow the cassette, not the side of the heads that I put them on.

Any insight? Is this an indication of a short? A problem with the powersupply? Just bad lamps?

Your Mimaki JF-1631 takes a small cassette mounted lamp known as Subzero 055A. The fact that your startup problem moves with the cassette seems to point to the UV lamp as the culprit. This type of power supply relies on an ignitor providing a high voltage pulse to start the UV bulb. Over time the ignitor circuit may not produce the same super-imposed pulse causing ignition failure. An older lamp may actually be easier to start than one that is new. I would also check your input voltage to the printer. Surprisingly for such expensive printers the UV systems are “less than stellar”. You want to keep input voltage 230 to 240 volts for reliable lamp operation.

There is a device called a spark coil that can determine vacuum integrity of the UV lamp. My suggestion is to return the lamp to Cure UV for such a test. I would think they would replace the lamp for free. If not TCS Technologies can provide an exact replacement lamp for $148.00 backed by a warranty. We manufacture dependable UV lamps right here in the USA. I hope this helps