• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Job Relocation

Chrys77

Good Evening all!

As a newbie I am not sure where this thread would be properly placed so in order to avoid any backlash from the Seniors I think this route is the safest route.

I currently work for a print shop in Sacramento, CA and though it's a good job (the crew, the work flow, projects) I feel it's time to move back home to Los Angeles. My question to you all is being a graphic designer for a shop isn't the same as say applying for an agency where it may be easier to get hired before making the big transition over. My gut tells me it may be easier to move first then proceed w/the job hunt while in L.A.? Or, look to see if any sign shop would consider hiring out of the county.

Any feedback would prove useful. :Big Laugh

I apologize in advance if I've mis-categorized my thread!

Locals Find!

Why not invest in some letterhead, envelope and stamps. Send out your resume and a cover letter stating your intentions and what your seeking to some businesses in the area your looking to move.

I am sure you can find a phone book or online listings for the companies you would be looking to apply too. Along with some online job search sites.

That is how I would go about looking for work before moving anywhere. Nothing worse than quitting a job in this economy to find yourself having a hard time finding one when your savings runs out and the rent is due.

AUTO-FX

Sound advice. Atleast that gets you a head start. Of course you can always take a part time gig until you find something.

Chrys77

Thanks for the sound advice. But it's as I suspected as much. I have been sending out a revised resume and a relocation cover letter, seems I was on the right track.

Thanks all.

Craig Sjoquist

Welcome to a outstanding forum and people.

You want to move fine but as a good intention warning ...find a job 1st .. hopefully finding it before you really move.