• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Job tracking and history

grex

I'm just getting rolling doing to cut vinyl. I have a need to redo work for customers regularly. I save all my artwork and cut files specifically for each customer. What I don't know is what they were charged previously. I don't know exactly what color vinyl was used and what brand or quality vinyl.

Does anyone have any tips or an affordable program to track contacts, job details, etc?

2972renfro

You should keep better track of your orders than this. What about tax info for a legitimate business? Are you running a business out of your garage or basement?

There are numerous invoice programs out there... google it. Maybe Quicken to keep track of orders AND have proper records.

WildWestDesigns

I use quicken and it works. There are other programs that are out there that are industry specific. Industry specific ones are ones that I tend to like to use, but I see some going the subscription route and I'm just not ready for that type of computing yet.

If nothing else, spend a weekend or so and build an excel spreadsheet for this or a numbers spreadsheet depending on if you are using a PC or a MAC.

MikePro

we have two ways of duplicating jobs.
1) spec. sheet for job order (materials, sizes, install date, etc.) gets cataloged and put into a folder
2) our .eps and .plt (omega) files have notes in them, specifying what material was used and what changes were made on certain dates.

all completed projects have an alphabetical file system on our network and can be accessed from any computer on the network.

get organized NOW... otherwise you'll be swamped when you've got a TON of worthless, unorganized files and completed projects.

WildWestDesigns

we have two ways of duplicating jobs.
1) spec. sheet for job order (materials, sizes, install date, etc.) gets cataloged and put into a folder
2) our .eps and .plt (omega) files have notes in them, specifying what material was used and what changes were made on certain dates.

We do meta data like that as well, even on our embroidery files.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you can keep accurate files for the job itself….. just add your comments to the bottom of the page as to what brand and color of vinyl. As for your pricing, you should be keeping all of your invoices in a place [whether it be in a tickler folder or some accounting software on your computer for tax day]… and look up the customer and go from there.

Kevin-shopVOX

Use a POS that job tracks. Put all info there. Additionally I put WO# and vinyl used, print setting in my job info tags in Flexi. Saved me tons of time. Honestly, you are heading for disaster if you don't change the way you do business. Work, act & think like a professional, you might just make some money if you do.

ChiknNutz

This should be a multi-faceted approach. For one, organize your client files in some logical manner. We used a system similar to what MikePro indicated. We had a single folder called "Projects" and then under that we created a folder for every company/client. Within each client folder we placed the job files. Another layer that we started to use, but didn't fully implement, was to create another sub-folder based on a Job ID or Job Name to further organize within each client (if they were a repeat client).

Next, you should consider some sort of software to manage your estimates/invoices. Of course, I will offer a shameless plug for GraphixCALC Pro as it offers some very powerful features to help you in this endeavor. For one, it creates a Job ID for each job in your workflow based on the date that can then be referred to at any time in the future. It assists you in pricing your jobs and collects all information about the job (i.e. materials, types, etc and further allows you to enter user-defined data such as colors and the like). It offers several pricing methods depending on how you like to approach pricing your jobs. It is a true relational database where all data is linked.

To complete the picture, consider a complete accounting tool, such as QuickBooks that provides a complete financial picture for your business. Fortunately, GraphixCALC integrates with QuickBooks, allow you to sync Estimates, Invoices and Clients.

royster13

On the art side I have a hard drive with every piece of artwork I have ever done......Each brand and client has a folder......I say each brand because I do lots of work for real estate so each brand has a folder and inside that folder is a sub-folder for each individual agent I have worked for....In addition to the obvious art files, the folders also contain "Order Summary/Proof" sheets for every job...

On the accounting side, I use Quickbooks...

And in my email, same folder set-up as my art hard drive......

And of course everything is backed up in 2 locations off site on a ongoing basis....

grex

I keep finance stuff in Quickbooks.

I put all my job files into folders for each customer. If it's artwork that could be used for something else, it's also files by the name of the design or company.

I'm looking job specific info. So when I open a job file, it tells me what color it was made in and what size etc.

I'm getting started and getting busier. So I appreciate the warnings about getting a system figured out now. Thats exactly why I ask. I don't want to get down the road and realize I could have done it easier or different. Then I might have to have two systems or spend time migrating everything. That would be a waste.

Is there an entry level vinyl cutting software that also has notes or would allow me to track the job specific information?

GypsyGraphics

i'd been in search of the perfect single solution for tracking jobs, all client info and communication, product & supply data base and of course billing. a year ago posted a thread to find out how others were using and as of about two months ago i found it! correction, my husband found it... FileMaker Pro!

i've been meaning to start a thread about it, and still plan to, because it really has turned out to be the amazing single solution i thought didn't exist.

Esmae

i'd been in search of the perfect single solution for tracking jobs, all client info and communication, product & supply data base and of course billing. a year ago posted a thread to find out how others were using and as of about two months ago i found it! correction, my husband found it... FileMaker Pro!

i've been meaning to start a thread about it, and still plan to, because it really has turned out to be the amazing single solution i thought didn't exist.

I'm very interested to know how you have set it up and what kind of job reports etc that you generate. I've always wanted to setup a database but get flustered at the start (microsoft access) and push it to the side for a year or so till i have another go at it. I see there is also an add on for quickbooks Aus integration

I'll wait patiently for your new thread. :)

Custom_Grafx

Firstly, why don't you know what you charged them last time? You don't record who pays you what? Do you just record how much you've been paid as a grand total from all your customers, collectively?

If yes... then just change that, and the rest will follow...

ChiknNutz

I am also interested to see how this plays out. FMP is merely a database application, though is a powerful product. You still have to create and customize a database to suit your application, even if you find a template to start with. I am not trying to downplay it at all, but I guess I am just curious how this is the magic bullet. I have an older copy of FMP, but just never really got into it. I personally found all of the scripts hard to incorporate, but that's just me.

grex

Firstly, why don't you know what you charged them last time? You don't record who pays you what? Do you just record how much you've been paid as a grand total from all your customers, collectively?

If yes... then just change that, and the rest will follow...

I just got started. So I'm just doing a few things here and there to get them out the door. But I won't go on like this, so I'm looking for a solution.

I used Filemaker Pro YEARS ago. It was wonderful. I may have to look into that solution as well.

Thanks for the information.