• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Job Wages / Salary

Replicator

Curious what everyone thinks the going rate is for a good graphic designer nowadays.

I have an opportunity for a job with a sign shop as a graphic designer, but I'm afraid the wages that will be offered would be too little.

I have know idea what graphic designers make as I have always worked for myself in this field.

Now granted, I am currently laid-off and unemployed, but I'd rather not settle for a meager wage if I can get what I'm worth elsewhere . . .

What are your thoughts as to a good designers wage?????

wildside

different areas will net different results but around these parts:

starting wage not much experience $8-10 and hour
5 years experience $10-12
10 plus years experience $14-18

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Don't just look at wages. Is there an opporutnity to gain a better understanding and perhaps enhance your skill set while working at this job (possible advancement?) If so, then go for it and possibly work a part time job to fill in the income.

You could also try to strike a deal with them to evaluate your work after 30 days and consider a raise.

JB

HulkSmash

$16-20 in my opinion. It's hard to start one out high, if you don't know what type of speed and quality they have. They can be the best designer.. but slow.. which doesn't sit well with many production sign shops.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I would make them an offer. Try me for a week and we'll see if we like each other at the end of the week. Pay me a fair days wages for that week and then we'll discuss it if we click.

Get the feel for the place, see if you like them, working for them and see if they like you. If it's a piece of cake...... go in high. If it's not so easy and you need to be led by the hand a little, go in a little lower.

Sorry, wanted to add this............. if you go in too low you'll appear far too eager, regardless of your working status, while too high, might just scare them away. Be fair and ask them what do they usually start people out at ?? However, you have to ask it first. Make them answer or feel foolish for not answering. When put on the spot, people generally will answer quickly without thinking. Good example... how many customers have asked you to shoot from the hip, off your cuff, the top of your head and you feel obliged to give them a number ?? Now it's your turn. Good Luck !!

Replicator

I'm fairly certain they intend to pay around $12-$14 dollars per hour, and they are dealing with at least 4 candidates for employment.

I cannot work at that pay scale, and I have both interviewed and job shadowed at this company as part of the hiring process.

My work is fast, professional and good, but I will probably have to ask for a higher wage then they were planning on offering (probably $20 per hour to start).

Hopefully, they will see the value in me, and be willing to pay for my disciplined skill sets.

If not, I probably wouldn't accept a job offer with this company at this time, as I know I am worth far more than even $20 per hour (in my own mind :LOL:)

By the way . . . It's great to hear from some of my old friends here on 101 . . . I've missed you all . . . Yes, even MOSH !

headfirst

What do you bring to the table? Can you present a compelling case for the rate of pay you are looking for?

SignosaurusRex

$45.00 per hour or nothing. Make sure you get full bennies with that as well.
Frig'n Trator....going to work for my competition...in my hood! LOL

headfirst

YES . . . Damn good design skills and sign shop experience (8-years, owner operator).

Figure out how to translate that into hard numbers. If you want them to pay you 50% more than the other candidates you need to make sure that they understand how you are going to produce more than 50% more billable work for them than the other guys.

Replicator

If you want them to pay you 50% more than the other candidates you need to make sure that they understand how you are going to produce more than 50% more billable work for them than the other guys.

Good call . . . Already did that today, when I pumped out some serious good work in short time, during my job shadow experience !

Replicator

Wages don't matter now, because I didn't get the job !

Time to put all my efforts back into my own business and hope and can make a go of it !

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sorry to hear that, but most things work out for the best anyway.

Just food for thought...... most times when EX-sign owners apply for the job, they come in w-a-y over priced. Nothing wrong with that, but I've hired four over the years and every time, it ended in disaster.

• One guy was a know-it-all and started telling me everything I was doing wrong and how to improve business. After about two or three weeks, I finally said.... so, these ideas of yours.... is that why you drove your business into the ground and you want me to follow your examples ?? That pissed him off and he quit on the spot. Exactly what I was hoping for.
  • Another guy came to work and brought a lot of knowledge and an area of expertise in which we never really pursued. He got full of himself and started thinking he was irreplaceable and started making demands..... WRONG. He lasted about a year.
  • Another guy came to us with more added polish and I found him to be about the laziest person on earth. He did the work, but he procrastinated about everything until I'd say... Rick, just do the fuggin job. He lasted about two months.
  • This last guy though.... he was a gem. He came on board cause he was a lousy businessman and couldn't feed his wife and three kids, but had a slew of customers and brought them along to compensate his wages. He didn't bring much in the way of talent, but he had connections. See... his uncle had probably the largest sign shop in the area and his name carried weight, therefore... so did Pat's last name. However, we made signs for all these customers and everyone of them stuck me for pay. They said, that's not what Pat was charging. I asked to look at Pat's books at this point and find out why the prices he said I could charge weren't what his customers were used to. Caught !! The dumb fug was charging like $125 for a double-sided 4' x 8' with routed posts installed. I was charging at the time about $550. Now I understood why he couldn't make ends meet. I had a meeting set up with him and he never showed up, but when I got to the shop, he had already removed all of his things. He then had the nerve to say to me.... he was quitting because I never gave him a raise in the two months he was there as we agreed and I said.... you dumb fug.... every one of your accounts reneged on me and I lost money with you... you big dumb fug. He looked at me and told me to do some unnatural thing with my head and butt and I started chasing him and he jumped in his truck and locked the doors.

He's the only one still in business and he still lowballs everyone, but he's one of the lucky ones..... he finagled a way to get a computer and suddenly his signs had a little more professionalism about them. I called him about two or three years ago about wholesaling digital prints and stuff and he said he had someone giving him prices of $6.50 a sf. I told him that's good pricing... keep it up.

So, it doesn't surprise me Rep that someone turns down a business owner due to future problems with the majority of them.

Good luck turning your stuff around. If we can help in any way, let us know. :thumb:

signswi

AIGA / Aquent partner every year to do a salary survey, the results are here.

Non-senior print designer is ~40k USD salaried plus full benefits. That's $19.25/hour for hourly folks.

MikePro

i would like to see designers getting a % of sales commissions. They sell product, but designing it is also part of the sale.

Salesmen get salary plus commission, so why do designers get the shaft? Our workload increases when they make more money, but can't they at least "tip" the designer like you would a server/bartender?
Heck, when I was a server/bartender in college, I used to tip my bus-boys out at the end of my shift out of my own tips for the night. Rightfully so since the more tables I had to serve, the more money I made, but also the more work they had to do for me to make sure my clients were happy and tip me well.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Did they say why they did not hire you? I always ask so that maybe I can make adjustments before my next interview. Almost every time they are very honest.

By the way I went to Craigslist in the Seattle area, in the Seattle/Tahoma area alone there are about 10 sign jobs. Way more than my neck of the woods. I was looking last night as I toy around with maybe interviewing at a job there.

Rick

AIGA / Aquent partner every year to do a salary survey, the results are here.

Non-senior print designer is ~40k USD salaried plus full benefits. That's $19.25/hour for hourly folks.

Even that is not accurate. There are sign designers like a mom and pop slap vinyl on a panel, banner or car, then there are architectural/electrical/pylon sign people...

Panel guy/girl is getting paid 12 an hour, pylon guy/girl may be getting paid 20-30...

What type of shop was this?

Rick

i would like to see designers getting a % of sales commissions. They sell product, but designing it is also part of the sale.

Salesmen get salary plus commission, so why do designers get the shaft? Our workload increases when they make more money, but can't they at least "tip" the designer like you would a server/bartender?
Heck, when I was a server/bartender in college, I used to tip my bus-boys out at the end of my shift out of my own tips for the night. Rightfully so since the more tables I had to serve, the more money I made, but also the more work they had to do for me to make sure my clients were happy and tip me well.

I have avoided working at salesmen based shops, not really because of money, but having to deal with the salesman's design taste or making a quick sale, instead of providing the client a sign/design solution they actually need... which ends up making the salesman more money anyways.

I did work at an exhibit house and I did get a tip from a salesman... was a nice surprise. He was a very good salesman who knew the business from top to bottom and respected everyone. If all sales people were like him, I would have a different opinion.

SD&F

I have always started people off at what I think they are worth to ME. I then watch what they can do and if they are profitable. If they are a good fit, because we are an unusual group here, then I give them 60-90 days at my rate and offer an increase that is substantial and will hopefully keep them. At that time I can decide whether I want to offer them what they want. I try to be fair and have had the same people since the doors opened, which we all know can be tuff. We all know that you have to be a little skeptical today when you hire, people say what you want to hear. good luck