• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Jobs are cancelling mid print.

otctech

We have 11 xc-540 and 2 xj-540. About a month ago we started getting a window that would pop up mid print in versaworks saying "canceled sending native file. Please check cause". When we resend the exact same job it will print fine (although sometimes it takes more than one resend). I started a log to try and pinpoint any similarities, I found none. It is happening on all machines, all media types, all job sizes. :help

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sticky Signs

How many computers do you have running all these machines? Are the comps hardline to the printers or are they going through a router of some kind?
A little more info on your set-up might help.
First thought is a communication error. Now we need to pin point where that is happening within the system.

CS-SignSupply

Possible network hardware issue, switch, router??

Versaworks on different computers doing the same thing?

DHCP address conflict somewhere in the network maybe.

maybe a little more detail of your setup would help...

How many computers have Versaworks and how many printers for each seat?

What version of VersaWorks, all the same?

Basic Router to Switch to Printer and PC setup?

otctech

Each printer has it's own computer just for printing (so 13 computers). There are also about 10 typist computers where we create the jobs (they just add text to pre-made designs). We are running versaworks 2.7 (the newer versions take much longer to rip and speed is more important than quality for what we run). They are connected through our network not directly to each other. I got the IT network guy involved and he claims that if there was an issue it would be the whole switch and not just the printers (I work in the personalization department of a large company with 2000 employees) so he wasn't much help so far. I personally think it probably is a network issue because of the fact it is happening on all our machines (so its not a printer or a computer issue) and when you resend the job it prints fine (so its not a file issue), but I don't know much (if anything) about networks and can't prove it.

ericmitchell29

I think the network router issue talked about above might be something you want to look into. I had something similar where the job would just cancel, and shut down my computer. I have to disable my wireless connect in order to run my Roland. Im not sure if my computer tries to pick up another network and resets itself but... it was expensive for awhile with wrecked jobs until I figured it out.

not sure this helps.

CS-SignSupply

I can tell you that it is not likely that there is an issue with ALL 13 computers and printers, at the same time... the commonality between them all is the network infrastructure... That large of a company would more than likely be using managed switches that should allow priorities to be set. When your manager gets on you about the delay in printing or waste from jobs cancelling, tell him/her that it is happening with ALL devices. Maybe then the IT guy will be pushed to give a crap more.

otctech

Thanks for the responses guys. I figured it was probably a network issue but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I think I will try to connect a computer directly to a printer to bypass the network and if it doesn't cancel any jobs then that should prove that its a network issue and force IT to get more involved.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
We were having some similar hardware issues with one...could not quite pinpoint it to an ip address or subnet mask issue. Drove me nuts. Just got a separate NIC card for the printer to attach directly to the computer with a crossover cable. Problem solved.

otctech

Should have googled it before I asked. I see now it has a different pin layout. Give me a broken machine and I'm your man to tear it apart and fix it, but I don't know anything when it comes to networks.

petesign

I may be way off base here, but here's a suggestion.. why not get a dedicated computer as a rip station and connect directly to the printer? It would help speed issues, and free up workstations to continue working as jobs print. (if you set up a big hard-drive on there, it would also be a nice fail safe for files.)

otctech

Yes indeed I love to get my hands dirty, and learn.

Thanks for all the input guys, it is much appreciated! This site is an awesome resource and I will do my best to come here in my free time and try to give advice as well as receive.