Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Joining ACM

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Dale D, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Dale D

Dale D Member

Sep 15, 2020
    Maryland
    Any suggestions on joining 2 to 4 panels of ACM that will be wrapped on its face with vinyl to where its not really visible? I know vinyl manufactures dont suggest "bridging" a gap. I can not find ACM that is 12- 15 ft long. I have 2 similar jobs like this that Im looking at. 1 job is 2ft x 14 ft and the 2nd is 7ft tall x 15 ft wide.

Tags:
  2. ChaseO

ChaseO Member

May 3, 2012
    You are going to have to piece it, and a bridge isn't going to work for any length of time as large panels of ACM expand and contract. I usually print an extra inch at the seam, and wrap the edge of each panel so that when they butt together, they look a little more finished. This seems like large enough signs that the client would understand that it isn't going to be one piece. Most shops don't have the capability of printing or installing a print that large anyway, myself included.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Alucosun makes some 78x144, biggest I've found but not quite big enough it seems.
    We do what ChaseO suggests, just make sure its registered properly, and you will have a hard time finding a seam at 20' or further.

4. OhioSigns

OhioSigns Member

Jun 20, 2014
    Greenville, Ohio
    Manufacturers of ACM facade systems for buildings use large sheets sizes if there are any somewhat local to you. I've got one company local to me that stocks various colors in 62"x196" sheets.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Krissy Louderback

Krissy Louderback Member

Aug 5, 2019
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Tubelite carries 4'x12' sheets. I would wrap the inside edges where the seams are so the image flows better and you don't have to worry about the prints shrinking at the seam.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Evan Gillette

Evan Gillette Member

Dec 5, 2018
    MN
    Same for us, use quality material that isn't going to shrink back and/or wrap around edge. Here is one we did recently, both sections are two panels butted together.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  7. spectrum maine

spectrum maine Member

Nov 1, 2012
    biddeford, maine
    you could do a printed flex face that size- seamless signcomp has an extrusion that would work for this. ship to site un stretched mount frame to wall stretch face . done and super clean.

8. Bubba06

Bubba06 Just Somebody

Feb 13, 2005
    Manning SC
    I can get 16' panels.

9. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    How do you move a 16' panel except by hand?

10. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Have you thought about handling this thing, when it's finished ?? Who's gonna pick it up without bending or creasing ?? That's a lotta sail to be putting up ion the air, especially this time of year.

Here's one we did a few years ago. 5' x 12' panels. From the ground, you cannot see the seams.

wall sign-2.jpg

Here we are almost finished.

wall-2.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  11. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Is that an old Radocy crane? I don't see many of those.

12. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Yep. 85 footer.

13. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Looks impressive. What was behind the sign on the wall?

14. Zendavor Signs

Zendavor Signs Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Peoria, IL
    Gino - how did you get the seams on the bottom to cinch up? It looks like they don't line up well on the in-progress photo, but then they do on the finished one. There is a gap behind there.

15. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    The greyish sign behind there, we put up about 20 years ago. Wooden 1" x 4" stringers about every 2 feet. 4' x 10' MDO panels screwed fast. The company changed their colors and appearance about 8 years ago and we just mounted this right over top. We put a 2" x 4" piece across the back of each panel and put 2 eye hooks in it. Lifted them up and one guy held it in place while the other guy screwed it fast with 2 more screws. Then, we released the 2" x 4" and lowered it for the next panel. The remaining holes were used over again, as the first screws were slightly smaller. We went across the entire top. Then, worked our way down and screwed them all in. A 2" x 6" runner was eventually put at the bottom about 3 or 4" up and that snugged them all up when we got to the bottom. Extra care was given to making sure al the panels were perfectly plumb, so we didn't hafta mess around later on. The whole sign is about 48 some feet long. Might've been an even 50' From one end to the other, either the original sign was off or our new one, but we were only aff by a little over 3/8" . We just did this back in July for a 15' x 30' and an 11' x 28' and again, you couldn't see any seams. However, this one was completely printed when we put it up, so any misalignments could not be seen, but it leveled off perfectly, once again. I'll look for those pictures. Not sure I'll post them as there is too much customer information on them.

16. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    3/8" is great considering how long that thing was

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Here's the other one. I might've had the measurements slightly off. Not fresh in my mind.

finished rear view blocked.jpg

finished side view blocked.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  18. Bubba06

Bubba06 Just Somebody

Feb 13, 2005
    Manning SC
    By Hand

19. Dale D

Dale D Member

Sep 15, 2020
    Maryland
    To be more specific, what I had was a 2 ft tall x 14 ft 9 inch long 2 piece ACM (2x8ft) with vinyl laid on it. It had to be mounted on a brick face and wanted the seam to meet flush. I ended up having to use 1x4 stringers horizontal and 1x4 vertical behind the seam to keep the 2 flush. Thank you guys for all your help.