• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

joining individual lines of text, into one text block in Illy CS4... Rick? Anyone?

iSign

I can't recall the format I started with, because it was a few weeks ago & that file is at home on my laptop...

but I am editing a document & just discovered that my paragraphs are nicely spaced & typeset, with good continuity, as if done properly in a single text block... however through some import/export process I suppose... the situation I am now dealing with is that every line is a separate text item.

I fixed one paragraph the long slow way of copying & pasting back together & setting up a proper sized rectangle to paste it into, allowing edits to result in new text wrapping conforming to my page layout needs.

I know most serious page layout work would be done in InDesign, or other similar programs... but I am also quite sure someone posted an amazing trick to fix this issue once before. I just don't know where to begin searching for it...

so thought I'd just be lazy & ask again!

Bigdawg

Just Me
Doug - that usually happens when you save as a pdf... in that case I open the pdf, copy the text and paste it back into Illustrator... you probably wil have to remove some line returns but beats copying and pasting each block...

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Unless you saved over the file, it might say it in the info window...

If it was done in an older version of Illustrator it might break apart your text blocks unless a window pops up when opening the file and give you the option of opening it with a legacy type setting or something like that. If it was done in an older version of illustrator and saved as a .pdf, you might be able to open it up in that version intact. I have not installed CS4 yet so I don't know if there are any issues between the older versions or not. Besides looking at those scripts that were posted I know no other way but copy and paste and match existing leading/tracking from the old layout by hand or the eyedrop tool to copy the spacing/leading/tracking.

GypsyGraphics

I often have text issue with Illustrator if the file originated in InDesign. I spend most of my day in InDesign and until I started cutting vinyl, can't remember what reason I had for bringing text from indd to ai. I really don't like illy for verbiage other than a title or headline. So for a paragraph it's strictly InDesign for me.

Hopefully you can open the native file and all will be well.

When you can, give us more info and maybe a visual.

GB2

Old Member
If you just select all the individual lines of text together (shift/select) then use the text tool to start a new text line and paste into the new text line, then all the previous lines will be combined into one. I think it will be one long line but at least you'll be more than half way there.

iSign

Well, I was starting to write that I found the original thread that gave me hope in the first place..

...but also to thank BigDawg, because I tried saving as a .pdf file, & that worked too!!
Thanks Stacy!!

..AND, the thread I found linked to the same scripts as the post Caleb offered... so thanks to Caleb as well...

I don't have any experience with scripts, but I DL'd the one in question, so I will experiment with that as well..

but I can't believe Gary's solution worked... seems rather obvious now, but i never would have guessed to try something so easy!