• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

jus' wonderin'

TheSnowman

Ours has been family since the start. I love it. However, I get along w/ my family, and we all respect each other...no stupid ego (sp?) trips. Yes, there is a boss, but you wouldn't really know it because we get along well.

threads1

We have been a Husband and Wife team for 23 years. I am the boss and she has given me permission to say so. Actually, I don't get involved with the embroidery side any more and she has left me alone to develope the sign division. She manages the employees and I manage to keep my mouth shut about how she does it. If there are 2 bosses with 2 opinions there will be problems.

astro8

It's all family in our business, apart from the occasional blackeye, fat lip or sore ribs, we get on really well.

Gene@mpls

My daughter and I started this business from ground zero 12 years ago. She
sold shoes and I restored Corvettes. I had never been in a sign shop. I went
to a franchise fair and thought that the sign business looked pretty good. Sign-
a-rama checked me out and decided I was a viable prospect (deep enough
pockets) and showed me a dozen of their shops in the Twin Cities and were
offering to fly me to Chi-town to see more... when I decided that I could
purchase the equipment and do this myself. My daughter and I practiced in
my basement for a couple weeks (not on paying jobs) and I found a great
commercial location on a busy highway into the heart of the city and set up
shop. Our first sign was our sign out front- when we were putting it up we
had a customer in the parking lot. We worked the first year for nothing- she
working for equity in the company (I paid child-care expenses for her) and I
explained from the start that I was the senior partner - I value her opinions
and her work( a chip off the old rock)- but I had to make the final decisions.
It has been great- maybe two disagreements in 12 years that amounted to
anything. Now when people come in and ask for the boss she tells them that
I am the boss but she is the boss-y and they will be dealing with her- and
she is better with the people that I am. I can take 4-5 week vacations a
year and know that she can take care of business- that is priceless.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
i started working for my aunt in 2001...a year later, her older brother returned to ask for a job....i remained employed for another year before walking out because i couldn't stand him....aside from being the least productive person EVER, he was constantly "playing games" and not funny haha games.....

i then found out that i wasn't the only person to quit because of the guy....when he worked there before, he caused at least 5 people to quit and one (my aunt's partner) to have a nervous breakdown....

my current boss (bought the biz when my aunt died) was one of the others to quit because of the @$$hole, and trust me, we have a good time making jokes at the @$$'s expense

Malkin

Ours has been family since the start. I love it. However, I get along w/ my family, and we all respect each other...no stupid ego (sp?) trips. Yes, there is a boss, but you wouldn't really know it because we get along well.

Our shop is much the same. We get along really well & I wouldn't have it any other way. Currently we just have 3 of us: Me, my dad (owner), & his dad (former owner). We have a non-family employee that usually works from about March through November. Most other employees that we have had through the last years were also non-family.