• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

just a little ticked off this morning

gabagoo

I ran a repeat order for a customer, and they are 19" x 48" prints that need to be contour cut. I decided to use this gloss lam that has been here and I want it used up.It is drytac and I remember it was pricey. I cut up all the pieces and used my BS on them.

This stuff has such a thin backing paper the rolls would jetison out in front of the BS and that was with my other hand pulling the film forward as it refused to release on its own.

2 of the prints were garbage as when the roll would unwind ahead of me the squeegee would get momentarilly stuck as I tried to figure out how to keep going.

I figured it out and they all went down fine from what I could see with quite a bit of silvering.
Come in this morning and the silvering seems more like a very thin layer of air and if you touch the prints with a soft squeegee you can see the bubbles forming. I am not sure what to do at this point.
It will be a nice warm day today and was thinking before I toss them all maybe I should lay them out in the sun and see if the lam relaxes and goes down.
If all fails I will reprint and toss out this awful product.

Just my morning rant.....thank you

tanneji

I hear ya! We had a customer come in with a banner that had been in the sun for 3 years and wanted us to make a similar one with a little different text. She comes in to pick them up and looses her mind when the colors don't match. She refuses to pay for them and storms out. I tried to explain that colors fade, we have a new printer etc etc. She never bothered to mention that matching the color was necessary. Totally messed up my afternoon yesterday!

noregrets

I am hearing ya - I had exactly the same thing happen to me a couple of days ago - did it 3 times on a big print! PITA!!!

S

scarface

Had this happen on those 2x8' prints i tried laminating with the BS, i said fug it and ordered liq lam and called it a day. Gotta do what you gotta do when there is no room for a laminator.

Good luck my man!

sjm

I ran a repeat order for a customer, and they are 19" x 48" prints that need to be contour cut. I decided to use this gloss lam that has been here and I want it used up.It is drytac and I remember it was pricey. I cut up all the pieces and used my BS on them.

This stuff has such a thin backing paper the rolls would jetison out in front of the BS and that was with my other hand pulling the film forward as it refused to release on its own.

2 of the prints were garbage as when the roll would unwind ahead of me the squeegee would get momentarilly stuck as I tried to figure out how to keep going.

I figured it out and they all went down fine from what I could see with quite a bit of silvering.
Come in this morning and the silvering seems more like a very thin layer of air and if you touch the prints with a soft squeegee you can see the bubbles forming. I am not sure what to do at this point.
It will be a nice warm day today and was thinking before I toss them all maybe I should lay them out in the sun and see if the lam relaxes and goes down.
If all fails I will reprint and toss out this awful product.

Just my morning rant.....thank you

Hey Drytac made my day ... I found out they sell magnetic roll material wider than 24".

A bit more costly but in the labour savings alone on this project I am tickled pink.

gabagoo

Hey Drytac made my day ... I found out they sell magnetic roll material wider than 24".

A bit more costly but in the labour savings alone on this project I am tickled pink.

thats good to know...they just up the street from me!!

nodrenim

gabagoo, now might be the time to place a very prominent sign on the wall that states that you are not responsible for color matches from signs more than 24 hours old.

gabagoo

OK there definately 2 of you who posted here and I have no idea what your going on about. Colour matching is not the topic...very strange indeed..

gabagoo

what is the bs? the big squeegee? what version are you using? i like the First revision a lot better than the new cradle version.

I have the newer version with the white liner and cradle. It works great. The only problem was the backing paper of the lam needed to be pulled with one hand forward while holding the squeegee with the other. Then the rolled uplam jumped forward out of the cradle over my hand pulling the backing paper and just got in the way everytime. I have not experienced that with other lams before and I guess I just couldnt get the pressure correct as I worried about keeping up with the hand pulling away the paper backer.