• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just curious how adobe users do this...

ChristianSlager

I use Flexisign, in which this process is easy-breezy, but I was wondering how ya'll go about taking an image that has a transparent background, and putting a contour cut around it. I messed around with it in photoshop (where I made the background transparent) with masks and whatnot, but I have the feeling I should have been in Illy. Would love a run down just for the sake of knowing.
Thanks!

Bill Modzel

If you can make your mask edge into a workpath, save it as such. Go to "export, paths to Illustrator". And that path will be saved as a vector based Illustrator file. Place your image in that open file and align them and you have your cut path ready to go or to
edit in Illustrator.

Note, when you open that exported file you will see nothing but 4 corner registration marks. Select all and give your path a stroke so you can see it.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
If you are not concerned with perfection, do an autotrace of the outside shape and delete all inside/unwanted shapes. You can smooth it out a bit in the path>simplify tool. The only other option is to trace by hand. I do it all the time to knockout backgrounds from photos... like cars and sports figure cutouts. But of course I do it the precise way. By hand

JoshLoring

-Create a path in photoshop that you want to be your cut contour.
-On a new layer create a vector mask from the path you created. Label the layer Cut
Save your photoshop file

-Open the file with Illustrator
-Import with layers
-Select the cut layer
-Expand fill
-Change the fill to none- Stroke your normal Cutcontour.

Wah-La
Done

stickygraphics12

Here is what I do and found it to be very easy....

1. Make all of your image a solid black in Photoshop
2. Import it to flexi
3. Go to the bezier tool under bitmap>vectorize>bezier
4. Delete the bitmap
5. Wireframe the new vector
6. Import the color image to flexi
7. Select both and mouse right click>align>both centers
8. Contour cut the wireframe black line only!

It sounds like a lot but it takes me maybe 5 minutes to do these steps. I found this to be a quick and easy way to do this and it's worked every time for me. If you want to leave some white around your image you can just use the conour tool to get that. Hopefully this helps some people.

grafxxx

quick contour cut in flexi ...
1 selected image
2 use magic wand to select out side of graphic
3 under the bitmap drop down select convert marquee to shape.
(note if your image is clean and good rez you shouel have a clean outline)

longbeachmichael

my method is just like stickygraphics12, except i use illustrator. open file in photoshop, use magic wand to select transparant area, make the cavas size larger needed to make sure the selection is one piece, then i invert the selection, and fill it with black, save new file, open in illustrator, trace it, remove the fill, stroke it, and your done.

TheSnowman

Ok, so I have a photographer that sends me stuff that's already cut out in photoshop all the time...I can export that into illustrator, and not have to trace it again? I've been manually tracing everything over again once I get it. That's nuts! Am I understanding this right?

TheSnowman

Ok, and since I never EVER use Photoshop, how do I fill it with black once I invert the selection? I have two "fatheads" to do today, and would love to get about 30 - 45 mins back.

iSign

start with the default black/white colors in the tool box>edit menu>fill>choose foreground or background (whichever one is black)

...but try modzel's method... after selecting, go to "paths" pallette, choose "make work path" and then under files menu, choose "export paths to illustrator"

both work great, but might as well try both before you forget and settle for just one.

TheSnowman

Ok, not to just keep this thread alive by my typing stuff all day, but I've been trying for like an hour to figure this out. If I use the custom shape tool in Photoshop, I can do this no problem...but I have yet to figure out how to use a cutout of something that I already get that's cutout, and take those lines to Illustrator. What am I missing!!!

Bigdawg

Just Me
Use magic wand to select transparent area.
Invert selection
Modify selection--->Contract---> 1 or 2 pixels (helps make sure you are inside image area
Go to Paths palette while the image is now selected.
Create work path.
.5 tolerance
Save and name path
Export Path to Illustrator

TheSnowman

BigDawg's worked the best for me...now my question is...is there anyway to do this, and leave the printed part of the file in with it, or does that always go away?

Bigdawg

Just Me
Open the PSD file in Illustrator. Do not flatten when you do.

Before that though... save the path as a clipping path in Photoshop (little drop down menu on the paths box). Then when you open it in Illy it should retain your exact path on the image...

beermonster

yes bigdawgs way works - or you can simply mask the background and save as a psd - both ways should work - personally again i prefer masking and psd, it just depends i guess job by job, but litho prepress here and its all psd's these days - eps is on the way out

TheSnowman

I'm totally hijacking this thread, but I still can't get it to work for me. I have a little logo w/ a transparent background on layer 1, then layer two is the cutout of the person. I got the path to export and look alright, but still can't get the two to export together.