• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just curious how many of you use pen and tablet in your work

mmblarg

Hey all! It's winter and we're slow! So, just for curiosity's sake, I was wondering how many of you use a tablet to draw and create designs for your work.

Personally I work for a small mom & pop shop that relies solely on mouse and keyboard. We dabble in custom logo design, but nothing that requires a full-blown drawing set up (so no creating original characters.)

WildWestDesigns

Depending on which computer is being talked about: Cintiq 27QHD (three monitor setup with 2 27" Viewsonics LEDs (main office rig)), Cintiq 21UX (single monitor setup), Cintiq 12WX (dual monitor setup with a viewsonic 21"), and Cintiq Companion 1st Gen (the only computer that runs Windows on bare metal any more around here, all the others are on Linux rigs.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Wacom Intuos 3 with Illustrator. I have used it for many years. Just the other day I tried using my Logitech mouse for a few minutes. Tracing artwork took me nearly 2x longer in the short time I tried it again. I did not realize how much more efficient I am with a tablet. I will never go back to using a mouse. I have posted videos before showing some tracing work and many commented on my speed. That is partially from experience but also a result of using a tablet

rjssigns

I use a simple Wacom Bamboo for photo work and working with colors using the airbrush tools. In Illustrator I use it with the brush tools.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
I have a Note 9, and I think that that pretty much qualifies as a pen and tablet lol

Honestly, I do use it to do sketches in the field, show where a sign would go to a customer, and take dimensions directly on photos. It COMPLETELY replaces ye olde yellow legal pad and a DSLR that I used to carry on surveys. Battery life is usually around 40% after a days work, I usually don't have to plug it in til bedtime. Highly recommended for this trade.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
I have a Note 9, and I think that that pretty much qualifies as a pen and tablet lol

Honestly, I do use it to do sketches in the field, show where a sign would go to a customer, and take dimensions directly on photos. It COMPLETELY replaces ye olde yellow legal pad and a DSLR that I used to carry on surveys. Battery life is usually around 40% after a days work, I usually don't have to plug it in til bedtime. Highly recommended for this trade.

EDIT: Just found out the pen is made by Wacom, and theres an app to get virtual tablet functionality. Wheee the list goes on.

unclebun

I have a couple of Wacom intuos 4's. I hardly use them because I just cannot get that comfortable with them. When I have to do freehand shape drawing (once in a blue moon) I pull it out. But I find it very cumbersome to do point to point vectorization with the pen and tablet. The mouse button function is clumsy for me.

WildWestDesigns

I have a couple of Wacom intuos 4's. I hardly use them because I just cannot get that comfortable with them. When I have to do freehand shape drawing (once in a blue moon) I pull it out. But I find it very cumbersome to do point to point vectorization with the pen and tablet. The mouse button function is clumsy for me.

I can see that with the Intuos lineup (or any of the san screen lineup). Still have that "disconnect" between where "you" are drawing and the screen. Same as a mouse, biggest difference is that in a lot of instances, I would say more people are used to the mouse.

I have a large Intuos 3 that I felt the same way about. It took me awhile to get used to that.

Some don't acclimate at all to those. They are just used to a mouse that much and it has the same disadvantage as those tablets sans screen.

The Cintiqs, shouldn't have that issue at all as "you" are drawing right on the screen. No "disconnect". Even when doing point to point vectorization. They did come out with more of a "budget" version, just a tad on the small side and no express keys remote (although could still get one for it I believe).

mmblarg

Well that's definitely relatable on our end! 100% using legal note pads and taking pictures with our phones that we then e-mail in and size proportionally later.

WildWestDesigns

Well that's definitely relatable on our end! 100% using legal note pads and taking pictures with our phones that we then e-mail in and size proportionally later.

They used to have a product called the Inkling. I used to use that when I would sketch on plain paper and it would capture a digital copy that could then be uploaded to the computer.

I don't think they sell it anymore. It is an nice product (or was now).

kcollinsdesign

Old member
I use an Intuos 4 for adding color to pen and ink drawings. I use a variety of inks, pens and brushes to "ink" pencil drawings on a variety of papers to create line art. The inked drawings are scanned, then colored using the Intuos 4 with PS or Corel Painter.

I was never comfortable with drawing directly on the tablet, or using it for inking. But I use it all the time for coloring. I don't seem to have any disconnect between working on the tablet and looking at the monitor. The Cintiq constrains me too much, and doesn't allow me the freedom of gestural and "calligraphic" strokes that working directly with conventional tools on paper affords me. The coloring process is much more painterly, and if I change my mind or make a mistake, it is no problem to do over.

I've tried every inking program under the sun, but I get better results by far working with traditional tools. As far as drawing goes, a pencil is the most natural and intuitive for me. Clip Studio Paint (previously Manga Studio) is the best of the drawing and inking programs I have tried.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I use a Wacom Intuos Pro on my home setup. Lately I've been using a large iPad Pro with Apple Pencil to on-screen sketching and drawing. It actually works very well. The Procreate app is awesome. Adobe Illustrator Draw could use some improvements (such as a Pen tool for instance). Autodesk Graphic and Vectornator are good alternatives. Their on-screen vector digitizing tools are not on par with the pen tool in desktop versions of Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop. But with a few adjustments they might get there.

54warrior

I have not. A friend has recently purchased a Huion Tablet but hasn't used it long enough to provide a good review on it. I have read many good things about that brand though.