• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just Curious

SignosaurusRex

Downsized and moved my operation home and a small satellite facility after tiring of 6-8 employees annually and a large lease on space. Added at least 15 more years to my life, probably saved my marriage and actually watched my children grow up.

PMG

I worked for a local sign shop(Friend Owned)on and off part time for 1 year then went on my own ,I have worked from home full time now for 6 years...

S'N'S

As I live in a small town (very close to 4 others) there is no way I could warrant a shop, in fact the closest sign shop is in our nearest city 60 miles away. Every sign writer I Iknow works from home.

Dave Drane

I have always had a shop. After growing up with my father working from home and having people phoning or coming in at all times of the day and night, I decided I could never do it. Slam the door closed on friday afternoon and open up again Monday morning. I even have a silent number on my home telephone.
I own my shop which will become my superannuation, so I guess that could make a difference too.

Jillbeans

I work outta that there house.
:)
This is my 25th year of business, I have been able to be a stay at home mom and raised 3 kids (26,22,14) while painting signs then eventually getting a plotter.
...and they all still live here. Just spent 6 hours yesterday trying to clean my oldest son's room.
I do live on property that is zoned commercial, right smack beside a 4-lane highway.
Love....Jill

neato

Yep, I wouldn't have it any other way. So glad I don't have a shop and lots of overhead right now in this economy.

gnatt66

Im not in my basement anymore, but I'm shoehorned/mixed in with my Father's Custom Picture Framing shop. It's nice having my stuff at the shop, for lots of reasons...

and that means i have enough room to get that 4/4 workhorse screenprinting press i bought going after vacation :) (that's gonna be in the basement)

Pat Whatley

Work from a shop because most of my customers come to me. I've never bought anything where I had to go to somebody's house to get it. If you go to your customers for a majority of your work there's not point in having a shop.

Just my opinion.

signgal

yeah, here, the out of the house shops have a bad connotation, as it is usually someone who bought a little plotter off craigslist and decided they could get rich making signs *rolls eyes* honestly, they hurt our business and then they see they aren't getting rich and move on. Unfortunately, a new crop follows them. Nature of the beast...

Patrick46

I did for many years as well, but have been renting my big shop for 12 years now (which is great), and am probably going to buy my own place this year. I'm looking at this as an investment for retirement...cause if I don't , then I probably will never be able to. We'll see.

Yea, we too got real sick of customers that show up while the family waz trying to eat dinner.