• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just died

zigns62

My laptop just died that i was using for my VP 540 printer. What's good out there that will last for a few years, any suggestions? Need some thing quick.
Thanks for the help.

rjssigns

Find your local independent computer shop. Been doing that for years and it's paid off. Great being able to get same or next day service.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
You may consider buying two computers.

I bought two of the exact same computer and mirrored the drives once they were setup. I use Google Drive to sync any files that subsequently change. That way if one goes down you have access to an immediate and exact replacement while you figure out whats wrong with the first one.

ALL computers WILL fail in time. Viruses, hardware failure, hard DRIVE failure, accidental software or configuration changes can be insured against with having a backup on hand. You may have a printer problem and want to find out if it's the computer or printer and having a exact spare can help diagnose that.

Having your files backed-up is a good first step in insuring you don't loose everything you worked for, but having a complete spare PC insures you don't shut down for a few days if something goes wrong.

Back in 2004 we ran all of our cutters and printers off one XP machine. That thing died one day and I ran to Best Buy to get a new one. Spent all day loading everything to discover we couldn't get the drivers for our Roland printer to work. They were not compatible with Vista. Tried to load XP on the new Vista machine but again had driver issues. Went back to best buy and they didn't sell XP's anymore. Had to order an XP from Dell and after 4 days we were back up and running. The amount of $$ for a spare PC is nothing compared to the business we did in a day. This happened again to me and after that never went without having a spare. Computer issues are WAY too common.

Last edited:

Chasez

personally I wouldn't use a laptop for running a printer, would use a desktop. Easier to upgrade if needed. We keep all files on a central server(All files backed up to a separate server), separate RIP station running 2 printers, and the RIP loaded onto a design PC just in case something happens (just have to move the hardware key). Printers are run over the network so if RIP station goes down can keep printing until RIP gets back up. Both are hefty desktops. If worried about HDD failures could always load all necessary programs onto PC at first built then make a mirrored image on a USB stick and load it onto a backup HDD. If the HDD fails you just swap the HDD and your back up running.

There's so many ways to set up but I would say to have a separate RIP for running the printers and a desktop at that.

To answer the laptop question... I would go with Asus republic of gamers... they are built to suit gamers but the hardware inside is great for design etc.. Plenty of RAM, good graphics cards...

Chaz

Fantazia

I think it is much better to replace it with a good desktop, made to work for years, easy to upgrade. Most important is to have more than enough memory and one HD for work backups.