Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just got my first Cricut startup visit

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by tsgstl, Oct 24, 2012.

1. tsgstl

tsgstl Active Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Mother Daughter duo going to make it big with the Cricut. I could tell by their tiptoeing around attitude when they walked in that something was up. And their almost identical flowery paisley blouses (they don't hide the butt)

They wanted a "vendor" for their "larger" projects
    After about two words out of their mouth I said "Wait a minute you guys don't own a Cricut do you?"
    The Mom actually told me she did not want her customers to know who I was and that they planned on buying a bigger machine. Apparently a thrift mall is a hotbed for larger sign orders. I'm buying a Bedasler and setting up shop in the next booth.

Tags:
  2. petesign

petesign Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Hoover AL
    LOL! I had a lady come in and ask for all the scrap vinyl I could sell her at a discount.

3. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    I'm glad these people are out there as it keeps people from calling and wanting some dumba$$ saying for their wall and having to listen to the gasp when they hear it won't cost $5. they can have that market!

4. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Tell her you have a special every month on used wraps.

5. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    I should have looked at this differently too! I have a few people a year calling for my "scraps". I'd be glad to send them my PITA customers, and the ones that want stuff for their walls.

6. LarryB

LarryB Member

Dec 3, 2006
    Webster, Texas
    When they come in I tell them I do not sell vinyl even scraps.

7. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Ya gotta start somewhere............... :notworthy:

8. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    I get something like this too. I usually get people in that want to make it big doing embroidery, but they use a single needle sewing/embroidery machine. Now that's all fine and good if you aren't going to do more then 2 or 3 colors (depending on how fast you are at thread changing) for simple monograms, but normal corporate logo crests, fraid not.

First pattern I digitized for one person had 10 colors in it, a few more color changes then that though as there was some going back and forth between colors.

Surprising thing is that some are actual businesses trying to expand into this market.

It takes all kinds.

9. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    Boy howdy this sign business is so easy even a girl can do it.

I have not had a Cricutter....yet.
    But I did enjoy your description of them!
    Love...Jill

10. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    these craft people have a place in this world and one I am glad of 'cause it keeps them from calling me. we did one wall saying. we did it because the woman is our bank rep. I had to draw and re-draw this horrid thing so many times, I wanted to throw up. "can I see it with a script font" "can I see it on an arc" "what if we have it all upper case script, on an arc?" errrrr. then she wanted us to install it and I backed off and sent someone other than me because I thought if this woman opens her mouth, I may just shut it for her or shove that saying up her...nose. I sooooo hate those stupid sayings on walls and am so glad that the craft people are out there making these awful things and not me. the money in this is not good as they also have no clue that it should cost more than $2 for some "stickers"

11. Suz

Suz Very Active Member

Apr 9, 2010
    The Great Northwest
    Oh Geesh, They have no idea, do they? LOL!

12. Suz

Suz Very Active Member

Apr 9, 2010
    The Great Northwest

13. tsgstl

tsgstl Active Member

Jan 17, 2012
    to be fair, I see plenty of big guts sporting Tapout shirts.

btw 50% AT LEAST of my business is ran by my loving wife

14. Suz

Suz Very Active Member

Apr 9, 2010
    The Great Northwest
    Okay, that's fair, seei'n you back paddle. :corndog:
    Just having some fun with you!
    Actually, I have the same reaction you did to the paisley shirt gals when a guy comes into my shop and sees my multi head embroidery machines humming away, after much set-up and design work. Their comment many times is, "You just push that button and it goes, right?"

Me, "Yep!" Makes them happy to hear it's so darn easy! :banghead:

15. so easy a ann coulter could do it....

16. natedawg9640

natedawg9640 Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Appleton, Wi
    well when i was young (and i'm only 28 now) I didn't have a cricut. I'd get scraps, take a piece of paper and doodle what i wanted, then use a number 10 knife blade to cut through the paper and the vinyl to produce my stuff. took me about 4 hours one night to make a cool looking dragon and skull (yeah shut up I was young) for my snowmobile hood. If folks are handy enough to give it a go with what they have available to them... I can't hate on that.

17. Mainframe

Mainframe Very Active Member

Sure I sell just plain vinyl! There is a $40.00 min order though, but you get 6 feet!, should be enough for a couple of projects don't you think? Oh, you need 4 different colors, well call if you change your mind, Thanks,,,, I actually sold some like this but didn't get good repeat customers, not sure what happened to them??

18. Edna

Edna Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Vinyl and wall stensiling are the same thing?

19. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA

Yeah, in that sense...... so is throwing up and having diarrhea. It's all how you look at it....... dumb look.jpg

20. binki

binki Very Active Member

Jul 23, 2007
    The PRC
    We like these customers. They come in and pretty much give up when they find out how much work it is and we pick up another club or school. If they become a pita then we fire them. Otherwise it has been good for us.