• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just Got My First Printer.. Looking For Pricing Tips

Sven

After five years of working with only a plotter, we just got a used printer. My biggest problem is I'm very unsure about pricing digitally printed material. Any tips are very much appreciated. Specifically I'm unsure of:

- banners
- paper/poster prints
- high-end/intermediate printed vinyl
- laminated vs unlaminated vinyl
- contour cutting upcharge

I expect there is a $/sf component to all of these, which includes application and then a separate design fee. Banners seem to be going for about $5/sf around here - at least on the low end - but I'm not sure..

Thanks

MikePro

there can be a HUGE difference between p.s.f. and actual linear footage used.
we stock 54" materials, and quote based on how much linear footage is actually going to be used up.... 3'x6' banner gets priced the same as if it were a 4'x6' banner. We inform our clients of this, and they're usually more than happy to accept the larger size, and I'm more than happy to give that extra material a happy home at "no additional charge".

i also only quote based on laminated prints, but offer the option for unlaminated if I feel that they would like to shave costs. this opens-up the conversation to what's to be expected from unlaminated prints.... which is not much at all. lamination doubles the cost of the materials, but quadruples the life of the print.

OldPaint

figure out your ink costs, your media cost, hour many hours you can keep the machine running continuously.........and sell it for less then CUT VINYL.......thats what the printer are doin here))))))

MikePro

Brochures to read: "two banners for the price of hand-lettering!...just a click-away":Big Laugh

fresh

there can be a HUGE difference between p.s.f. and actual linear footage used.
we stock 54" materials, and quote based on how much linear footage is actually going to be used up.... 3'x6' banner gets priced the same as if it were a 4'x6' banner. We inform our clients of this, and they're usually more than happy to accept the larger size, and I'm more than happy to give that extra material a happy home at "no additional charge".

i also only quote based on laminated prints, but offer the option for unlaminated if I feel that they would like to shave costs. this opens-up the conversation to what's to be expected from unlaminated prints.... which is not much at all. lamination doubles the cost of the materials, but quadruples the life of the print.

I try to figure stuff this way too, but not really with banners. I can give someone a slightly better deal per sqft on a 4ft width banner because there is no waste. But I am charging them more than if they only want a 3ft banner because ink costs $$ and so does the extra hem tape & grommets.