• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just got my printer, trouble with cust files.

joostio

Back on the forum again. I just bought a Roland sp300 printercutter. I am loving what this machine can do. I don't miss the coloured vinyl and layering at all! Thestuff I am printing from my own files created in corel and drawn to actual size are working out great. But,the files I am gettingfrom customers are too poor in quality to prceed with. Some have sent me J pegs and others ai files. when I scale them to printing size they ar ussualy pretty grainy and poor quality.

What should I be reqesting from my customers when I ask for thier files? Size of file? and type of file? thanks for the help, I look forward to some hep here, this is an exciting time for me, been waiting for the printer for a long time.

Joost

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Possible searching of this subject will probably result in volumes of information on this.

This is one subject that has been beaten to death everywhere.

heyskull

I can only say that out of every 10 customers who bring me artwork which is supposed to be suitable.
About 9 of them either have to go and find me better artwork or I have to reproduce it.

Wait until you get someone with a piece of artwork the size of a postage stamp and wants it blown up over 10' and they can't understand why you don't have some fantastic piece of software that you can enhance it with!

I have been in this business over 25 years and you will never be able to explain to customers enough about what type and quality of artwork you will need to reproduce their artwork.

SC

SebastienL

Wait until you get someone with a piece of artwork the size of a postage stamp and wants it blown up over 10' and they can't understand why you don't have some fantastic piece of software that you can enhance it with!

"...But I had no problem inserting it in this layout I did in Word/Powerpoint"

mark in tx

This is when you have to figure out how much you will charge per hour for re-drawing artwork, or get to know the vector doctor.

joostio

I have tried searching but I still haven't found what I need. What is a good size file, type, and resolution for printing files. Thanks

Tony McD

Ask them for vector art (line art).
This file could be an adobe illustrator, pdf, corel, etc... format.
Make sure they convert all fonts to curves, so it's not asking for fonts when
you import the file.

If they're sending you raster images (pictures), have them send a rgb jpeg
at 150 dpi or more, at the full size it will be printed. The problem here is
that if they start with a low quality image and enlarge it to this size, it will
be pixelated just like when you try to enlarge the small file. This is usually
what happens when you ask for a good file. They take the low res file and
enlarge it to your specs....which doesn't work.

joostio

thanks for the reply's, the learning curve is steep but very rewarding. This site is awesome! This machine needs to start paying some bills.

tcorn1965

Here is what we tell customers

Acceptable formats include vector EPS, AI, and PDF. We can also accept JPG, GIF, PNG, TIF, and PSD, however our design team may have to recreate your art into a usable format for printing, which may include a separate fee. If that is the case, your account representative will inform you and allow you to submit a revised file to avoid any additional fees.

Terry

OldPaint

had to print a football sign the other day, 32" x 48". i called the client and asked for camera ready art or a larger picture of their artwork..........THEN THE 2" x 3" BUSINESS CARD................that they specifically wanted the sign to look like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY DONT HAVE ANYTHING!!!!! i blew up the business card..........

Si Allen

Cheer up!

Teaching customers how to send you usable art work is only slightly harder than teaching your cat how to kick 40 yard field goals!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

DTFuqua

had to print a football sign the other day, 32" x 48". i called the client and asked for camera ready art or a larger picture of their artwork..........THEN THE 2" x 3" BUSINESS CARD................that they specifically wanted the sign to look like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY DONT HAVE ANYTHING!!!!! i blew up the business card..........

I thought you were retired? I finaly got my wife moved to Pensacola but she is in bed all the time with deterioating health now so I have an even harder time doing any marketing than before but this place is in a better position for drive by business than I had in Ms. so, not counting the cost of lawyer, DNA tests and paying my mothers other surviving son off so I wouldn't have to look at him any more, it seems to be a good move for us. I just need to find a local supplier for things that are too expensive to ship. Hint OP?

Last edited: