• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just In Just heard about this..............................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It is prohibited to participate, if you are left-handed. This lets the toadster out.

Polo, along with field hockey and jai alai, all ban left-landed play. While it is banned in jai alai due to being impractical, it is banned in the other two sports due to safety concerns. As you may know, polo is played on horses. Much like high-speed traffic, the sport is much safer when everyone is moving in the same direction. If a right-handed and left-handed polo player both went after a ball from opposite directions, there would be a risk of collision and injury for the players and the horses. The requirement that everyone play from a right-handed position maintains safety on the field.

I'm sure there will be some kinda political comeback, but prejudices are just part of the game these days.

I wonder what kinda spin this will take ??:bookworm

Johnny Best

He will tell you all the great people who were lefthanded, Clinton and Obama. And Michelangelo and Da Vinci who was ambidextrous so he would be able to still play polo and jai alai. I have watched and bet jai alai and the there is one backside wall the players are allowed to "climb" up and catch the ball and sling it to the front wall. A lefthander could not make that shot since the wall would restrict it.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The prejudice towards left handedness runs deep and is buried in the languages of the western world. Dextra is Latin for right and sinistra is Latin for left. From that we get dexterous for capable and sinister for evil. In French, the word for left is gauche also used to describe clumsiness. In medieval heraldry, coats of arms were either dexter or sinister as defined by the direction of the banner (top left to bottom right or vice-versa).. This designation was sometimes used to identify whether the bearer was the legitimate or illegitimate offspring of a predecessor, as well as high achievement.

In my own life, I am the victim of my first grade teacher, Miss James, who made me hold my pencil in my right hand. Otherwise, I would be fully left handed. I ended up developing all my fine motor skills right handed but still retain my gross motor skills as a lefty. I write and use most tools as a right hander while I throw and bat as a left hander.

I agree with Johnny about the greatness of southpaws. There is a disproportionate number of left handed people among our leaders and high achievers.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Ok southpaws, we need to form a our own LGBT (Leftys, Gauchedextual, Bidextual and Transdextual) PAC to fight this.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I too, am ambidextrous, but was taught to be right-handed. I can't bat left-handed, but all the other things I will always lead with my left. My Dad and brother were also ambidextrous. Playing keyboards was fun. I also play trombone and that's next to impossible to play left-handed. Also play flute, and have no idea how you'd do it left-handed. But the polo thing has nothing to do with being like the devil. It's just not safe in the sport.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I was ambidextrous until kindergarten. I had a (very old) teacher who made me feel as if I was doing something wrong when I used my left hand. The right handed scissors were always gone, so I would grab the left handed scissors (green handle) and cut with my left hand. It freaked her out to no end, and she would punish me for it. That was the end using my left hand freely. I wonder if I could undergo hypnosis and become ambidextrous again?!

I used played my bass left handed - until someone told me.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
studies show that being LGBT (Leftys, Gauchedextual, Bidextual and Transdextual) is not genetic, but is actually a preference amongst individuals.
How many left-handed researchers were on staff in these studies?

MikePro

i swing both ways, so I google'd it with both hands. however, there was no evidence presented regarding dextral-bias within the study.

Andy D

I remember reading about someone (maybe Michelangelo or Da Vinci?!?!) who could write two entirely different sentences at the same time.
If I remember correctly, he would write upside down and backwards with his left hand while writing normally
with his right hand.

Boudica

I remember reading about someone (maybe Michelangelo or Da Vinci?!?!) who could write two entirely different sentences at the same time.
If I remember correctly, he would write upside down and backwards with his left hand while writing normally
with his right hand.
Wow, you have no idea how often that would have come in handy for me - if only I could do that.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Double post. I was using both hands and wrote the same thing twice. If you wore special glasses you could read it. Otherwise, it looked like something the cat dragged in...............

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I can write with my left while cleaning out my nose with the right but it is not a skill I normally list on my resume.

Johnny Best

I use both hands to eat a hamburger, fried chicken and corn on the cob. Also I can use a spinning reel either right handed or left handed.
Da Vinci wrote that way because he did not want people to read things he wrote and call him a heretic.

Boudica

Double post. I was using both hands and wrote the same thing twice. If you wore special glasses you could read it. Otherwise, it looked like something the cat dragged in...............
+1 for Andy D - he made you try it! :D