• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just joined and new in business

Gator Graphic

Hi, I've just began in the sign, T-shirt, etc. business. I see most members are sign makers. I've got a job to bid on, it involves removing lettering and replacing it with a rectangle strip with the letters removed. Is it worth my time to start stripping lettering? Does anyone know how much time is involved and any good ways to remove it? I'd appreciate any suggestions and I'm excited to have stumbled upon this forum.
Norma:Coffee:

Flame

Welcome.

Use a lil' chizler, torch and adhesive remover to take off the decals. Make sure to clean WELL before applying new ones.

SignosaurusRex

Welcome. Start with a heatgun to heat the letters for removal if your new to the experience and have not used a hand held propane torch. Remove the residual adhesive with adhesive remover available from your local hardware or auto paint store. An important question first I think is......What are you removing the lettering from?

Sign_Boy

How many letters?
How long has it been up there?
What is the vinyl on? Acrylic?

Does it look like the letters are cracking?
If so it could be a pain.

Are you only striping some of the sign or all of it?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I'm just trying to get a feel for the job.

Oh by the way welcome to the boards and run from the sign industry while you still can LOL.

Gator Graphic

I haven't gotten up close to the sign yet. It doesn't look like its cracking. The letters are delicate looking from the ground. Now sure what material it's on. Customer knows it might be multi colored after removing lettering thats why I'm making the rectangle to cover most of the sign. Thanks for your time and info.

Sign_Boy

Is there no way to just replace what is up there?
In the end it could be more cost effective for the customer and less hassle for you.

But to answer your question "OFF", the lil' Chizler and plenty of time.
Make sure you clean the surface well after the vinyl is gone.

Good luck

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
Thanks, I'm still not sure about taking the job. The sign can't be taken down off the roof.

why not make a new sign (say out of aluminum) and screwing it onto the face....it'll take too long to strip the existing lettering and apply new stuff while on a roof...