• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just purchased Gerber HS-15 Plus. I have no idea how to use it or what software...

csw

Guys,

I have lurked here for a long time. Always wanted a cutter, just couldn't afford one. Well, that changed today......Now, I need some help. To say I am a newbie is an understatent....

Here she is:

and this is what I am attempting to do with her: Sandblast template. The design is 8 1/2" wide and 4" tall:

My question is; since this is a very simple text only design, what software can I get in that will do this for the least expense??

Thank you all very much and I look forward to seeing all the answers and appreciate all the help.

Josh.:thankyou:

Attachments

• $(KGrHqN,!hUE7WtttrclBPDIcN4Yog~~60_12.JPG
    $(KGrHqN,!hUE7WtttrclBPDIcN4Yog~~60_12.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 267
  • th_sandblast.jpg
    th_sandblast.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 100
Last edited by a moderator:

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I run a Gerber GS 15. They're fairly straight forward and simple to run.

Gerbers utilize an open artitecture which means you can use other vendors' software. At the "top end" you can use SignLab, Flexi...or go for the gusto with Omega. These are the "top 3" and are not cheap, but are highly functional.

Some of the "inexpensive" programs are doable but may tie your hands when it comes to creativity and functionality, especially with stencil cutting. Stencil cutting is a different ball game compared to cutting vinyl, and these programs may be limited in areas of overcut, tangential control, speed, etc...

In the long run, they may not prove to be inexpensive. SignCut and CoCut come to mind. One fellow blaster started with SignCut but finally gave up due to troubles he was having (he was running a GS15).

I know of no "bridge" program that will work with Gerber. A bridge program lets you use programs such as Corel or Adobe for your primary designing. SignLab recently relseased a "starter" version, and that may function similar to a bridge program but you'll still have the expense for one of the aforementioned design programs.

I'm also a stone blaster. Join us a http://cuttingedgesandcarving for in depth discussions about blasting.

P.S. Look toward your future needs before investing. One of the reasons I chose SignLab was its ability to do "serialization". I can accept a MS Word or Excel file from a customer and cut hundreds of stencils (for fundraising bricks) with just a few clicks of the mouse...seriously. That feature alone has saved me thousands of hours in layout time.

JB

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

SignCut and CoCut come to mind. One fellow blaster started with SignCut but finally gave up due to troubles he was having (also running a GS15).

I know of no "bridge" program that will work with Gerber. A bridge program lets you use programs such as Corel or Adobe for your primary designing. SignLab recently relseased a "starter" version, and that may function similar to a bridge program but you'll still have the expense for one of the aforementioned design programs.

I thought CoCut was a plugin for Corel and Ai to design in those programs and later send to your cutter or am I off my rocker?

James Burke

I thought CoCut was a plugin for Corel and Ai to design in those programs and later send to your cutter or am I off my rocker?

It may be...I belive it was SignCut that was a stand alone program. As mentioned before, they work well for vinyl but for heavy (20-45 mil) rubber stencil, they had some limtations.

JB

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
There are lots of software products that will drive the HS-15 including,Omega, Flexi, SignLab, CoCut with either CorelDRAW or Adobe Illustrator for the design side and lots of others. My choice would be Omega and if I couldn't afford that or cost justify it, then I would design it in Corel or Illustrator and farm out the cutting to a trade jobber.

csw

P.S. Look toward your future needs before investing. One of the reasons I chose SignLab was its ability to do "serialization". I can accept a MS Word or Excel file from a customer and cut hundreds of stencils (for fundraising bricks) with just a few clicks of the mouse...seriously. That feature alone has saved me thousands of hours in layout time. JB[/QUOTE said:
Could I get away with the $450 Signlab Cut Pro OR do I need the full blown version?

I only intend to print and work on one job at a time and they are all very simple.

Thanks to all for the input so far!!:U Rock:

Marlene

once you get it up and running, the blade that comes with it is a 45 degree. I haven't cut sandblast material in a very long time but I do remember that you need a different blade for that and I think it might be a 60 degree blade that you will need. maybe someone who cuts sandblast material will know and will post

James Burke

Could I get away with the $450 Signlab Cut Pro OR do I need the full blown version?

I only intend to print and work on one job at a time and they are all very simple.

Thanks to all for the input so far!!:U Rock:

Here's a third-party vendor link with all the specs for SignLab Cut Pro. Click on the "Specifications" tab when you arrive at this page: http://www.specialty-graphics.com/signlab_9_signmaking_software_by_cadlink.html

From all indications, it appears this program will work for you, BUT call CadLink and double check, just to be sure.

It looks like it will only come pre-configured with ONE driver for the cutter you indicate...which means that if you decide to move on to something else you'll have to upgrade to SignLab Vinyl...which is essentially the same thing....just with "unlocked drivers".

In real life terms, it also means if your Gerber dies, you'll have to find another cutter like it in order for your software to keep working with the pre-configured driver.

But in a nutshell, there are a bunches of us who still run 20+ year old Gerbers day in and day out. And while GSP technical support (and repair)no longer supports these models, there are folks like The Plotter Doctor who can get them going again.

BTW...you'll want to use a 60 degree blade for monument stencil, and even for some of the thinner materials such as Hartco 310.

JB

allamericantrade

I don't know anything about the gerber cutter but as a "newbie" to design and graphic end of the field, I have found flexi to be very easy and user friendly for cutting as well as printing. I have thought about looking at other software but the company I used to work for did everything in flexi and starting my company when they went out it was just easier to continue using the same software.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
As already mentioned, that software is one of several solutions to driving your plotter (it is not a printer).

You would need to specify your plotter to the distributor to have it setup for that plotter. You would then run a serial cable from your computer's serial COMM port to the plotter's COMM port and setup the software to look for it on that COMM port.

As already mentioned also, with that software you will be limited to that plotter ... so if you ever want to replace or add another plotter, you will be limited to that brand and model which hasn't been manufactured in over ten years or you will need to also upgrade or replace your software.