• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just received my big squeegee...

icex

And I could kick myself for not getting one sooner! I bought the 50" one and already two 4x4 signs and am doing 20 yard signs with it right now.

What use to take 20-30 minutes to do a 4x4 sign along with rapid tach and two people doing it (one holding vinyl up other squeegeeing) has turned into a 1 person 5 minute job.

I love it, and if you don't have one I suggest getting one!

T

Tropics09

Just wondering if anyone uses or can use the BS to put down 4x8's been looking at purchasing one in the near future.

JgS

Just wondering if anyone uses or can use the BS to put down 4x8's been looking at purchasing one in the near future.

Yes. All the time. It works great. (I do recommend having 2 people on a print that size though.)

jwindsor

Use mine all the time for 4 x 8's. Works great. I do agree that you need two people to make the job easier...

2B

2 people does make it easier.

HOWEVER the most important point no matter the size is to ensure that your table surface is PERFECTLY LEVEL....... cannot stress this enough

hydo1

We have a 50" too and I think it's great. My employees, on the other hand, hate it. They prefer wet apply. Go figure.

AF

I use the smaller ones all the time 32" and 20". Very practical sizes in a addition to the big ones.

CreatedDesigns

I use a BS everyday. Either applying transfer tape or vinyl graphics. And I also use the BS laminating version on my 30" wide printed vinyl, never tried it on 54" material.

It's funny how this topic came up. I was just throwing a fit today trying to mount a 88" x 48" print to 12mm MaxMetal. Needless to say I ruined the print, which is the first one I've ever ruined with the Big Squeegee. My problem with it stems more from trying to do it on my own (because for some reason I always seem to think I can and that doing it by myself is a practical practice) and from only mounting a few 4' x 8' panels each year, I really don't get much practice. Today it showed as I did the first side with transfer tape and besides a few air bubbles, it came out perfectly aligned with no stretching. On the second side I decided to do it with no transfer tape because the transfer tape made the first print bulky, stiff and likewise harder to handle. On previous occasions I have had success with this with my business partner pulling the backing paper away slowly from the other end. Today it kind of backfired for some reason and I was awestruck with disbelief like "Did that just happen?" About halfway through the application I got massive wrinkles on one end, possibly because I was trying to push it from alongside the table at that point. We weren't using an air release media so when I pulled it back up to reapply it, it was too late. The wrinkles wouldn't come out no matter what we tried to do. Argh!

Sooo...this brings me to a couple questions...

When mounting large prints with the Big Squeegee do you apply application tape first to keep the media rigid or do you choose to apply it without tape?

I'm also wondering how many of you prefer to use air release media for these large applications and how many of you don't use air release.

I'm sure if I transfer tape the next print I apply it will undoubtedly go much smoother and maybe I will love the Big Squeegee again. Until then, this is how I'm feeling about our relationship. Lol.

[video=youtube;OOdTzw2grnw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOdTzw2grnw[/video]

AF

For long prints, use a handle on the BigSqueegee so the force is centered. Transfer tape helps if the print is very thin, and also helps if the print is not laminated so it doesn't get scratched. Air release makes it child's play. For non-air egress I try to use the laminator.

icex

It's funny how this topic came up. I was just throwing a fit today trying to mount a 88" x 48" print to 12mm MaxMetal. Needless to say I ruined the print, which is the first one I've ever ruined with the Big Squeegee. My problem with it stems more from trying to do it on my own (because for some reason I always seem to think I can and that doing it by myself is a practical practice) and from only mounting a few 4' x 8' panels each year, I really don't get much practice. Today it showed as I did the first side with transfer tape and besides a few air bubbles, it came out perfectly aligned with no stretching. On the second side I decided to do it with no transfer tape because the transfer tape made the first print bulky, stiff and likewise harder to handle. On previous occasions I have had success with this with my business partner pulling the backing paper away slowly from the other end. Today it kind of backfired for some reason and I was awestruck with disbelief like "Did that just happen?" About halfway through the application I got massive wrinkles on one end, possibly because I was trying to push it from alongside the table at that point. We weren't using an air release media so when I pulled it back up to reapply it, it was too late. The wrinkles wouldn't come out no matter what we tried to do. Argh!

Sooo...this brings me to a couple questions...

When mounting large prints with the Big Squeegee do you apply application tape first to keep the media rigid or do you choose to apply it without tape?

I'm also wondering how many of you prefer to use air release media for these large applications and how many of you don't use air release.

I'm sure if I transfer tape the next print I apply it will undoubtedly go much smoother and maybe I will love the Big Squeegee again. Until then, this is how I'm feeling about our relationship. Lol.

[video=youtube;OOdTzw2grnw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOdTzw2grnw[/video]

We use air release vinyl.

Cant wait to get my BS

I just ordered a BS few days ago at cape columbia here in canada and cant wait to have it. It is scheduled to arrive by tomorrow.