• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just removed a 4x4 decal off a brand new ford f150 and....

gabagoo

Never ever have I seen this before..... I have to take off the 2 4x4 decals on the rear of the bed of a pickup and I just used a heat gun on the low setting and basically peeled the decal off in one piece ( nice vinyl too BTW). So now there is a yellow discouloring left behind...sort of like what the vinyl zapper does on Fords but not as noticeable. You can't feel it and methyl hydrate did nothing. I have no idea what will remove what can only be something that has penetrated the surface.... very strange... did I say this is a brand new sparkling f150?

sardocs

You know how people on this site are always saying to wait a few days after painting before applying vinyl? Maybe the decal guy at Ford doesn't read those posts.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Funny you should mention this, we just did a customer's brand new 2019 F-150 and removed the OEM "Sport" decals (same location as where they put the FX4, 4x4 etc) and had the same thing happen.

I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me but sure enough there is a clear area where it yellowed behind the clear areas of the decal. Where the print was there is no discoloration - just the clear areas. It's like reverse UV yellowing.

Super strange. Now I'm temped to take my own FX4 decals off just to see but then again I may be opening a can of worms. My F-150 is silver so it might not show as much but I'd say Ford's got an issue on their hands.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Maybe Ford is following the lead of the mattress tag cabal

void.jpg

unclebun

According to F150 enthusiast forums, this has been a common problem since 2015 or possibly earlier. There are two solutions which users post, both of which seem to work.
1. After cleaning off adhesive the normal way, leave it outside for several days and the yellowing fades away.
2. "I have an Oxford white truck and removed my decals that had a yellow stain under them. 3M Adhesive remover followed by a quick wash of the area, Meguires clear coat safe rubbing compound followed with polish and wax and was all good. Took maybe 10 minutes of my time to remove the decals and follow the steps above."

gabagoo

According to F150 enthusiast forums, this has been a common problem since 2015 or possibly earlier. There are two solutions which users post, both of which seem to work.
1. After cleaning off adhesive the normal way, leave it outside for several days and the yellowing fades away.
2. "I have an Oxford white truck and removed my decals that had a yellow stain under them. 3M Adhesive remover followed by a quick wash of the area, Meguires clear coat safe rubbing compound followed with polish and wax and was all good. Took maybe 10 minutes of my time to remove the decals and follow the steps above."
It's outside until I work on it Saturday...So the same customer has this Lube truck brought in...Brand new from the dealer... So as I am looking at what the customer mocked up I see that there are these 2 rather large decals on the back end of the box, so I call her to say that the decals have to be removed to do what she wants and she says...They were supposed to take those decals off before it was delivered to you. She was sorry and asked if i could remove them. OK no problem. I always try them just with a picking tool at first to see what will be needed and this one I got a hold of the edge but the sheer strength I needed to get it off was more than I have ever experienced... They came off clean wit no heat and left no glue...off to the other side....completely different... This side I got a corner free and I was pulling and pulling and could not really budge it so I got the heat gun out and worked it a bit and started pulling but no this decal was meant to stay... Plugged in the steamer and attacked with that and slowly the decal starts coming off and leaving every bit of adhesive and then I pulled and the top coat released and the graphic part remained but it has no decal around it anymore, almost like the ink is the glue...very weird. I got the rest off and then I used a half a quart of rapid remover and each time , gobs of adhesive snot came off but still the adhesive was on there. I think I have hit it 10 times and each time I am pulling off at least a shot glass of snot...What on earth is this stuff. I ran out of rapid remover and now wait for delivery of more. I have a vinyl zapper but I am a little fearful of what kind of mess that will do toit. I now know why the dealer left them on....

Strange though that one side came off almost to easy and the other side is a real beatch.

I think maybe those decals were put on a little too soon after painting