• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just starting out....help!

greglauter

How are you all? I have A LOT of questions hoping you all can point me in the right direction. I am a graphic designer of 13+ years. I want to get into the sign making biz to offer design AND sign making, banners, etc. I am running a Mac G5 - Dual 2 Ghz, with Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, etc. I purchased a Mutoh 48 ValueJet 1204 about 2 months ago. Due to software issues, it has not been fired up and printed on yet. So, it leads me to my first question. #1 Will I need a new printer head once I get it going? #2 If so, wheer can I purchasse the replacement head #3 Anything else I need to worry about? Now for the software issue. I have PhotoPrint SE and tried to load it on the Mac... no go. I have a dongle (Sentinel SafeNet SuperPro) I tried with the software... again... no go. From what I understand you can print directly from Illustrator, Photoshop etc with PhotoPrint SE. So, this is question #4 Should I purchase a dedicated desktop PC to run my print jobs (printer work horse)? #5 If so, what kind of PC to run my Mutoh, Laserprinter and a Vinyl Cutter plotter? Or do I purchase a second (Intel Based) Mac and run VMware Fusion? I currently have a Xerox Phaser 8500 (laser printer) and I will be purchasing a Vinyl Cutter (plotter) in a week or two. #6 What Vinyl Cutter plotter do you recommend to do signs, banners, vehicle graphics, etc.

Please heeeeeeellllllppp :smile:

Thanks in advance and if there is anyone in the Tampa area. Come on over and we can talk shop.

Thanks Greg

msrobere

I am down in fort myers, fl area, just purchased a mutoh 64" was thinking about getting a mac for design till i did some research into the compatibilty of the rip software. You should be able to fire the printer up and at least do a head cleaning and nozzle check to keep the print head going. where did you purchased the printer from. Usually they have a check list for things to check before you purchase the equipment.

Michael
Quick Signs N More

eforer

Is the VJ brand new? Is there ink in the system?? Replacing print heads is a costly and unpleasant prospect. If there is no ink in the system, your fine. If not usually manufacturers offer a cleaning or flushing cartridge. As long as the heads have remained capped, you should be able to flush it with the aforementioned cartridges and be okay.

I've didn't have a long relationship with mild/eco-solvent, but I suspect its even easier to get that stuff flowing again vs full solvent inks. When I purchased my first full solvent machine, a Mimaki JV3, it was used and it was created/stored for 4 months. I ran the Mimaki cleaning cartridges and it came back as good as new. Like I said, as long as the heads have been parked in the capping station, you should be fine.

Finally, I suggest getting a PC to run your RIP. If you prefer Mac's for your working/design environment, keep using those for your day to day design work. You'll find however, that the majority of RIP software is written for windows so a PC would probably be the hot setup for yoru RIP. I personally use PC's for everything in my shop. Also, I came from the world of art direction/commercial illustration to printing. While I did alot of digital imaging and pre-press kind of stuff, I was shocked at how much there was to learn to become a competent digital printing guy. Its not easy, and requires a big commitment of effort time and money. It would be a mistake to underestimate the level of difficulty, I've seen it happen a few times amongst my former colleagues and they have ended up with, in some cases $35,000.00 paper weights in their offices.

Congrats on taking the plunge, and get that machine running and making some money! If you have any questions on making the transition from designer to printer, feel free to PM me and hopefully I can be of some help.

-Good Luck!

gsmigel

I have the Vinyl Express Cutter my second one from GBC Signwarehouse.. the first one lasted me 10 years.. NO PROBLEMS!

Bill Modzel

Well Greg, I'll throw in my 2¢.
There are not many RIPs for the Mac. Caldera is one. PhotoPrint is another. Do you have the Mac version? You might call Amiable and see what a cross platform trade is.
I'm running Posterjet on my MacPro through Parallels until the Mac version is updated this fall and it's running my HP 5000 and 9000s pretty well. It has some connection issues occasionally but it's nothing too major. Usually restarting XP fixes it just like a normal wondoz box.
I'd suggest you get a new Mac and have the best of both worlds.
As far as plotters go, I'm a Graphtec guy. They give you a great Mac/Illustrator plug in for their plotters which works well.

eforer

I would second graphtec as a good choice although my personal fav is the Mimaki CG-FX cutters. You can't go wrong with either and both have great illustrator plug-in's that are cross platform. If you are going to go for a Win RIP. Skip the dual boot mac thing. You're paying way too much for hardware you can put together your self for much less. The only reason to buy hardware from apple is if you want their OS. I know of a huge shop I deal with that designs on macs and rips on PC as there normal workflow and it works great for them. Seems like a good solution for a Mac guy, get the best RIP, but allows you to stick with the OS you like for most of your work.

freshdesignfast

Mac's are a tough situation when it comes to RIP software. However for design they are preferred by most graphic artists. My girlfriend who does all of our heavy design work can help you more than anyone else I know when it comes to the Mac. She usually creates in Illustrator and saves as an .EPS and then we use that file in Flexi-sign.

Good Luck!

D

DARLAK

Welcome. Please introduce yourself.

Jon

????

R U kidding me????

[read in a loud monty python accent]

introduce yourself or i won't talk to you....

i believe he said enough.....