Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just In Just wanted to say Hello and Introduce myself.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by gwizah, Aug 2, 2020.

1. gwizah

gwizah New Member

Jul 30, 2020
    Miami, FL
    Hello All,

My nickname is "GWIZ" because it's a "nom de plume" I picked up as a teen.

I am a new member to this forum but have been dabbling in the non-professional world of sign painting and Murals for some time. I seem to have always had a "day-gig" and worked on my hobby on the side for as long as I can remember. Now due to Covid-19 I am no longer gainfully employed in my previous profession and started to do my "hobby" more as a full-time gig.

I'm still learning, but have recently obtained a Mutoh Kona 1600 and already own two older plotter/printers from HP. My current job is doing some cieling stencils I am cutting with the Kona. You guys would probably laugh, but I have been hand cutting stencils printed from my trusty ol' DesignJet 1055cm for almost 8 years now...Yes, hand cut with x-acto knives and applied to walls with spray-adhesive. Ive even pounced designs with chalk dust several times.

Now that I have started playing with a real vinyl plotter I'm hooked. I seem to have hit a snag, not really a big deal but my machine doesn't seem to want to do a sheet off cut. I can still manually separate any work, but Ive already looked at my blade and rotated it and it seems like the actuator isn't functioning. The part with the spring does'nt seem to move at all.

Going to take a stab at finding replacement part if the head is damaged, but other than that particular issue it seems to be working fine.

I look forward to learning any tips or suggestions.

• Like Like x 1
  2. binki

binki Premium Subscriber

Jul 23, 2007
    The PRC
    Welcome. Everyone here is very helpful.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    Greetings. Welcome.

4. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    :welcome: Almost everytbody.............

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 2
  5. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    Welcome!

6. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    Welcome, from the "other" part of the state.

7. mnchstr2k

mnchstr2k New Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Pana, IL
    Old school style. When I was in HS I worked at a billboard company and they had a couple of guys that would project the art on a big wall and hand cut the stencils for the different colors/layers and we screen printed them on 4' x 4' (I think) sheets to be glued up on the billboards. Many paper cuts on that job.

8. The Big Squeegee

The Big Squeegee Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2005
    Lawton, OK, USA
    :welcome: 2 :signs101smilie: from OK

9. BobM

BobM Very Active Member

May 31, 2008
    Cape Cod
    Welcome from Cape of Cod Massachusetts. Enjoy your new career

10. Dayandnightsigns

Dayandnightsigns New Member

Jul 14, 2020
    San Diego
    Welcome

11. Geneva Olson

Geneva Olson Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Webster, TX
    I actually have the same problem with my plotter. I just cut manually with an xacto knife.
    When you figure it out, post what it was. would love to know.

12. gwizah

gwizah New Member

Jul 30, 2020
    Miami, FL
    Interesting! I am currently planning on removing the head and inspecting it for damage/or missing parts. I got this machine used, as-is, from a sign shop. I was told that the blade was saw-blading the cuts, and it needed a new head. For my purposes, it hasn't caused any issues, but maybe it was that and the sheet off that made them get rid of it.

13. FireSprint.com

FireSprint.com Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing

Welcome!