• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just In Just wanted to say Hello and Introduce myself.

gwizah

Hello All,

My nickname is "GWIZ" because it's a "nom de plume" I picked up as a teen.

I am a new member to this forum but have been dabbling in the non-professional world of sign painting and Murals for some time. I seem to have always had a "day-gig" and worked on my hobby on the side for as long as I can remember. Now due to Covid-19 I am no longer gainfully employed in my previous profession and started to do my "hobby" more as a full-time gig.

I'm still learning, but have recently obtained a Mutoh Kona 1600 and already own two older plotter/printers from HP. My current job is doing some cieling stencils I am cutting with the Kona. You guys would probably laugh, but I have been hand cutting stencils printed from my trusty ol' DesignJet 1055cm for almost 8 years now...Yes, hand cut with x-acto knives and applied to walls with spray-adhesive. Ive even pounced designs with chalk dust several times.

Now that I have started playing with a real vinyl plotter I'm hooked. I seem to have hit a snag, not really a big deal but my machine doesn't seem to want to do a sheet off cut. I can still manually separate any work, but Ive already looked at my blade and rotated it and it seems like the actuator isn't functioning. The part with the spring does'nt seem to move at all.

Going to take a stab at finding replacement part if the head is damaged, but other than that particular issue it seems to be working fine.

I look forward to learning any tips or suggestions.

mnchstr2k

Hello All,

I am a new member to this forum but have been dabbling in the non-professional world of sign painting and Murals for some time. I seem to have always had a "day-gig" and worked on my hobby on the side for as long as I can remember. Now due to Covid-19 I am no longer gainfully employed in my previous profession and started to do my "hobby" more as a full-time gig.

I'm still learning, but have recently obtained a Mutoh Kona 1600 and already own two older plotter/printers from HP. My current job is doing some cieling stencils I am cutting with the Kona. You guys would probably laugh, but I have been hand cutting stencils printed from my trusty ol' DesignJet 1055cm for almost 8 years now...Yes, hand cut with x-acto knives and applied to walls with spray-adhesive. Ive even pounced designs with chalk dust several times.

Now that I have started playing with a real vinyl plotter I'm hooked. I seem to have hit a snag, not really a big deal but my machine doesn't seem to want to do a sheet off cut. I can still manually separate any work, but Ive already looked at my blade and rotated it and it seems like the actuator isn't functioning. The part with the spring does'nt seem to move at all.

Going to take a stab at finding replacement part if the head is damaged, but other than that particular issue it seems to be working fine.

Old school style. When I was in HS I worked at a billboard company and they had a couple of guys that would project the art on a big wall and hand cut the stencils for the different colors/layers and we screen printed them on 4' x 4' (I think) sheets to be glued up on the billboards. Many paper cuts on that job.

Hello All,

Welcome

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I actually have the same problem with my plotter. I just cut manually with an xacto knife.
When you figure it out, post what it was. would love to know.

gwizah

I actually have the same problem with my plotter. I just cut manually with an xacto knife.
When you figure it out, post what it was. would love to know.

Interesting! I am currently planning on removing the head and inspecting it for damage/or missing parts. I got this machine used, as-is, from a sign shop. I was told that the blade was saw-blading the cuts, and it needed a new head. For my purposes, it hasn't caused any issues, but maybe it was that and the sheet off that made them get rid of it.