• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV 33 color not firing

jaly723

I have a JV33 that is a year and a half old and haven't had any issues until now. when i do a test draw I am missing the far left Magenta color. All my other 7 color test perfect with no nozzles out. I did change out all 8 dampers because this is the first time I have changed them and figured it was time. I have cleaned it numerous times, did ink fill up, etc and still cant get that 1 magenta color to come back, Any suggestions? I am getting ink to the new damper but that is as far as it goes.

I had a similar problem. Doesn't sound like you have good compression on the damper. Did you use mimaki dampers? Tried a third party damper once and couldn't ever get it to work properly. You may want to try another damper, sometimes they are bad.

If you can disable the safety switches on the door and leave the cover off for the damper area, you can watch what's going on when you do an ink fill or just a standard cleaning. You can see if ink is flowing into the damper.

A simple test, if you don't have a spare damper, swap the magenta dampers. If the problem is in the damper, it'll move to the other side of the print head.

One other thing we've ran into is that the nut on the quick connect coupling for the damper was loose after changing the damper. It wasn't loose enough to leak ink but it did cause the damper not to have good compression. It took me a better part of day to figure it out. As soon as we tightened the fitting, everything went back to normal and have had no problems since.

Hope it helps.

~Chris

jaly723

Thanks Chris, I only use OEM Mimaki parts so I have the OEM damper in. I do not have a clogged head as i checked that as well. ANd I just changed the capping station. I am still getting the same results. I also checked the coupling fitting above the damper and it's good and tight. Not sure what to do next.

GTSTech_1

Did you bleed out any air in the Magenta line? Ink wants to migrate backwards once you disconnect the damper from the printhead (to get the air out, push the circle and allow ink to flow out the bottom. If no air in the line, I would check the stem/nipple on the printhead....it's possible to snap/crack it when removing or replacing the damper.

My .02

GTSTech_1

Can you tell if there is ink going into the damper? Does it look like it's the same amount of ink as the other ones. Did you try swapping the magenta dampers to see if the problem followed the damper. If you asked Mimaki they would say to probably not do that test but we've done in the past and had no problems.

There is a small rubber o ring in that nut on the quick connect. That can also cause a similar issue to what you are experiencing, at least in our experience.

I'd try the dampers first since the problem didn't start until you replaced them.

~Chris

Easiest way to start isolating this? Simply switch positions between the suspected bad line and one that you know is good. i.e. Connect the cyan or yellow line and damper to magenta head position and vice versa. If the new color drops out in this position then you know that the problem is from the head on down. If the magenta still wont fire in its tempoary new home then the problem is from the Damper on up.

Don't forget to check that the magenta cartridges actually have ink in them. Mimakis have a habit of emptying the cartridges but forgetting to actually alert you!

4R Graphics

I have the same issue every time I pull the dampners.
what works for me is to get a syringe with flush in it send the head over to the left side of the printer where you clean it. Take the dampner off the hannel that is it working put the syringe on the nipple and very slowly ( I mean slowly ) push the flush throught the head then remove syringe replace dampner and do either a hard clean or 2 or an ink fill this usually fixes it may have to do a few cleans but should work

is this problem fixed?

is this problem fixed? I am having the same problem where one set of the yellow nozzle does not fire at all and the result is a very pale color. my printer has two heads YYLmLmMM and LcLcCCKK. I already tried the following but did not work.
- replace the head and data cable of yellow and magenta with new one
- clean cap station
- flush and replace all ink in the yellow line
- switched the data cables of the two heads
- switched yellow and magenta line

After all of this the error remained in the same nozzle place..

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
forgot to mention i have a different printer ( a china printer)

Then your issue has nothing to do with this thread. This is about a Mimaki JV33 which uses a valved ink system with a single DX5 head and compression dampers. You machine has 2 heads, quite likely a gravity based ink system, no telling what sort of dampers. Any troubleshooting relevant to the JV33 will probably have no bearing on your machine.

That being said, what generally gets a channel going for us again when one does go out like this is a good nozzle soak. In other words, filling the capping station with cleaning fluid and parking the head over it. Try it for 30 minutes and see if the channel clears and starts firing. If not do it again for longer, even letting it soak overnight if needed. Otherwise, ink fills, cleaning cycles, and checking for air leaks, capping station sealing right, dampers, etc...

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
In my experience, when you lose the magenta on the Mimaki DX5 printers, it's almost always a cap top issue. Magenta is the first to go because it is on the edge of the print head. I would change the cap top and test the pump to make sure it is not clogged on either side. Also make sure that the blue stopper is still attached to the third hole underneath the cap top.

Thanks for all the quick responses,I just realized that my issue should be addressed out of this thread. I will try all the suggestions listed above and create a new post outside this thread. thanks a lot!

Jobraj

jv33 color not firing

Thanks Chris, I only use OEM Mimaki parts so I have the OEM damper in. I do not have a clogged head as i checked that as well. ANd I just changed the capping station. I am still getting the same results. I also checked the coupling fitting above the damper and it's good and tight. Not sure what to do next.

If your problem has not been resolved. Remove the 2 silver clips that fit across the 8 dampers and try it like that. with the clips on it affects the damper seating on the 2 outside dampers. This helped resolve my issue.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
If your problem has not been resolved. Remove the 2 silver clips that fit across the 8 dampers and try it like that. with the clips on it affects the damper seating on the 2 outside dampers. This helped resolve my issue.

Jobraj - this is a JV33 which is a totally different setup with a single larger 8 channel head, one much larger cap top, etc. You are thinking of a JV3.

Recfield

I have a similar problem once in a JV33 and the problem was the ffc cable, it's the cable that join the carriage board and the mainboard, this cables work along with the tubes and with the time they get cut.

Jobraj

Jobraj - this is a JV33 which is a totally different setup with a single larger 8 channel head, one much larger cap top, etc. You are thinking of a JV3.

the jv33 has a dx5 head with the dampers fitting onto the manifold with the silver clips connected to the two outside (magenta) dampers on 1 and 8. this affects the seating on the dampers when the manifold has ink on it.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Ah - I see what you are saying. I thought you were talking about the older DX4 capping tops with the little metal inserts for some reason.

Never crossed my mind that the 2 damper retainers might cause issues. They do have to be installed just right though or they will definitely cause problems. Could run without them though as you say. My only worry is one of the dampers possibly jostling loose at some point. The retainers just make sure the fit of all stay in line and no single one could get loose - all would have to come off together with the retainers on.