• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV-33 Printhead

k.a.s.

Hello all,

After trying many things it appears that I may need a new head for my JV-33. My question is does anyone have any good aftermarket places to but one, I have bought some other parts through Mac Media with good success but they are back ordered until next week sometime. I could buy one from Mimaki for twice the price but I don't really want to do that either. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

4R Graphics

I have bought many things from solvent ink online. There online store is not that great but if you call them George is very nice and usually ships same day (if you order before 4:00 p.m. eastern time).

LaserMan

I'm in line to purchase one as well. What is the green chip? The prices vary drastically online. I've seen JV33 print head range from $700 US to $2000 US.

Little help?

Masseria

Ok, First of all, you need to recognize between Legit Epson DX5 Printhead and chineesse copy.

Legit Printheads looks silver in nozzles parts, while Chineese are Golden.
Legit Printhead is about 1200 dollars, if you are lucky. I paid 1600 in a Mimaki Official Supplier.
and Chinesse copy are like 500-700 (You can buy these directly from China) paying shippment. Try EMS Shippment is the low cost for international shipment from china. 1/3 of DHL prices.
I bought 2 of these, looks nice. didnt find difference in aspect, or materials. Only Golden Nozzles.
i sold 1 of the 2 to a friend, and it worked nice and smooth, no ink problems, in a Jv33.
Mimaki supplier says that they dont recommend (OF COURSE) these printheads, could cause malfunction in electronics or something, Anyway he try it and it worked perfect.
People says that printhead lasts 1/2 or a bit more of the lifetime that an original one.
But i didnt believe these at all. if you take care of the printhead, wash it like you have too, it will last like the original one.
Hope it Helps.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
There are a few variations of the DX5 printhead. The original Mimaki ones have the green connector and will have IH47V on the top circuit board. On a JV33 from firmware version 3.0 and later Mimaki added a bit of code to detect if an original Mimaki IH47V head is installed. If the machines firmware is 3.0 or higher the machine will require an IH47V green connector printhead.

You CAN use other DX5 heads though. But you must downgrade the firmware to version 2.20. Other heads will probably have a black connector and be labelled IF33V. You will also want to be sure that any non-original head has a solvent manifold on it. If it does not you can just swap the manifold from your existing head though.

I'll say this much. I've been running ours for well over a year now with firmware version 2.20 and a non-original IF33V DX5 head with zero problems. Still has a perfect nozzle check and prints great all day every day.

Also - contrary to above, not all of the "golden" heads are Chinese copies. Epson does make heads that look "golden" on the nozzle plate. Those are the teflon coated version which are used on assorted printers. That is actually what I have in our JV33 right now.

I'm in line to purchase one as well. What is the green chip? The prices vary drastically online. I've seen JV33 print head range from $700 US to $2000 US.

Little help?

inkmed

For JV33, DX5 head is good choice.
Its price is half of original JV33 head, but life only a little shorter than original head life.

Adam Yang from Inkmed

LaserMan

Silly question...How do you check the what firmware you're running on the JV33?

I noticed on the start up that it show v3.20. Is that the firmware?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Yep. That is the firmware..... The most current is 5.30. From version 3.20 and up they have the head ID check in the firmware. If you install a non IH47V DX5 head in a machine with firmware 3.2 or higher it will give an error when you power it up "DEVICE CONSTRUCTION ERROR" and you will not be able to print. You can downgrade the firmware to 2.20 with it in this condition and it will start working fine.

k.a.s.

Thank you for all the response, I ended up ordering it from www.macmedia.com I have ordered things there before with good success. They had the best price of $1299.00, I should get it tomorrow.

Kevin

Masseria

how can we downgrade if necessary? same as upgrade? or need a cleaning to avoid you already have a newer version..

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Downgrading firmware is just the same process as upgrading firmware. You need the correct firmware file as well as the PRM file and the firmware upgrade tool program. Always make a backup of your machines parameters FIRST using the firmware upgrade tool in case something goes wrong.

LaserMan

Yep. That is the firmware..... The most current is 5.30. From version 3.20 and up they have the head ID check in the firmware. If you install a non IH47V DX5 head in a machine with firmware 3.2 or higher it will give an error when you power it up "DEVICE CONSTRUCTION ERROR" and you will not be able to print. You can downgrade the firmware to 2.20 with it in this condition and it will start working fine.

Thanks for all your help Sight!

inkmed

Thank you for all the response, I ended up ordering it from www.macmedia.com I have ordered things there before with good success. They had the best price of $1299.00, I should get it tomorrow.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

$1299 for original JV33 head (with green connector) or DX5 printer head?

this price for original head is OK, for DX5 head is crazy.

Adam Yang from Inkmed

k.a.s.

I don't think its a DX5, it says brand new print
heads made in Japan. All I know is its working well, even though that wasn't the problem.

Kevin