• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV22 service manual and RIP advice

ruckusman

Hi all,

Just picked up a JV22-160 for cheap as it had been sitting unused for about 18 months.

I've got the heads sitting soaking to loosen any clogs and have replacements dampers on their way to me. Four of them had air leaks in the clear plastic sides.
So I am assuming that when the machine was taken out of storage and tested nothing was printing. It was running aqueous dye inks, not pigments.

I didn't discuss the condition at length with the seller as the price was too good to pass up - only that is was working fine when it went into storage.
I'm not too concerned about clogged heads, I've managed to recover DX2 heads that were left clogged for over 2 years to 100% working condition.

Anyway I'm working my way through it and I already have a JV33 service manual that I got from the yahoo group as they seem to be virtually identical.

Just wondering is there is a JV22 manual available for any differences there may be between the two machines.

Also looking for discussion/recommendations on which RIP to run it, initially budget is an issue and the main considerations are quality, not speed (number of passes), and ink control for all 8 inks.
I'm going to be running Hi-Fi which may or may not include Orange and Green.

My list so far is Wasatch, I have an old copy of 5.1.4, but haven't printed with it yet, Rasterlink which is believe is a stripped down version of Wasatch (not sure what is removed) and Ergosoft Posterprint 11 which Mimaki & Ergosoft co-marketed as a good option when they released the printer.

thanks

peace out

Glenn

ruckusman

I have finally had some time to get the new dampers installed and everything checked and cleaned, polished and generally looking schmick (aussie slang for great!)

So I powered her up, it went through the motions and then I get Head Error 07 -----*--

So I've done some research and it seems to be just a communication error, possibly cable related, but I've already swapped the cables between the two sides and it folllowed the right hand side of the head.
Other posts I've read mentioned head temperature, so I'm a little unsure as to what conclusion to draw regarding the symptoms.

So not knowing how the other heads are, what does anyone recommend -replace all of the head cables, or just the offending cable (hear the chant - if it ain't borke don't fix it!).

Otherwise does anyone have an electrically good but clogged DX4 printhead so I can check the condition of the other heads and hte rest of the machine before buying a new head if necessary.

I'd like to avoid just throwing money at problems only to find others

peace out

Glenn

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I dont have any parts to send you but the JV22 and JV33 have almost nothing in common. The JV22 is a water based ink version of the JV3. I'm guessing that is probably the maintenance manual you have (for a JV3 not a JV33). Many if not all JV3 parts will also work on a JV22. Also if you are curious the final version of firmware for the JV22 was 3.00. Uploading all the documents for the JV22 now and will post a link in a moment...

If the problem goes to a different head when you swap the cables then I'd guess one of 3 things. The cables, the slider board, or the main board. I think the slider board and main board have resistors and or transistors for each of the 4 heads which can be replaced if you are competent with a soldering iron and meter to determine which is bad. Otherwise I'd suggest sending the board off to Macmedia to get repaired.

Here is all of the offical documents Mimaki has for the JV22 in a zip file... enjoy. :)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OVHBVH3N

ruckusman

Well spotted, I did mean JV3 service manual, though I haven't yet needed to refer to it, though the proper JV22 service manual will be a bonus.

The error followed the head whne I switched the cables, so the prognosis (my assumption) is that it's one side (same side) of the head.
I switched the LHS and RHS at the slider board and the error changed positions.
I also as changes the the cables between LHS and RHS at both ends and the error still followed the same side of the head.

I've checked the fuses on the slider board (all OK - 1 per head, but not yet the mainboard).

I think my reasoning is sound thus far (feel free to correct me if I am wrong).

So an electrically good, but clogged head, will hopefully allow me to test the other heads and everything else before I start shovelling money.

I can solder anything, good eyes and a steady hand and most of all experience with everything down to the smallest SMD components - when you get that looking good you know your true calling was brain surgery...

peace out

Glenn