• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

jv3-130 sp2 computer not seeing printer

Big House Signs

For some odd reason computer is not seeing printer...hoping it is just the cable firewire is bad...but if t is the board inside...does anyone know if there is a manual that would tell us how to get inside?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Is the printer giving any error messages or just the software? It has to be the firewire in the computer, the cable or the board in the machine. If the printer is giving an error, it's most likely the board in the printer. You could try using a USB to parallel cable to bypass the firewire board in the printer to see if the printer is able to receive data. If it isn't able to the main board may be bad.

Nuagedesigns

is this a new computer? Has this computer recognized the printer before? Mimaki JV3's are tempormental with what Firewire card they like to play with. Always had good luck with the Texas Instruments cards but had issues with other manufacturers not playing nice.

Big House Signs

still kicking

The problem was the firewire board in the printer. Was thankful that Solventinkjet had a used one, we got it the next day and we were back in business. Getting closer to getting a new printer though...was really sold on going with a HP Latex but I am back to the mimkaki 150. Going to look at one monday.
Thanks for everyone's help!
Paula

jfiscus

Rap Master
have it print out some fine text, I keep hearing that the new latex printers are very nice and fast, but the quality of fine details is really poor is what I am hearing. I guess that is where they sacrificed for speed.

Nuagedesigns

Had my JV3 since 2005 and just sold it last Nov still working at 100% never replaced any heads and very little major maintenance. Just ran the heck out of it and kept it clean. Been running our New JV33 and cant say enough about it. speed and print quality are great. Best of luck with what ever you path you choose.

Bruce

Big House Signs

Had my JV3 since 2005 and just sold it last Nov still working at 100% never replaced any heads and very little major maintenance. Just ran the heck out of it and kept it clean. Been running our New JV33 and cant say enough about it. speed and print quality are great. Best of luck with what ever you path you choose.

Bruce

Wow! You never replaced a head? That's amazing.

have it print out some fine text, I keep hearing that the new latex printers are very nice and fast, but the quality of fine details is really poor is what I am hearing. I guess that is where they sacrificed for speed.

The resolution of the raster data that is sent to the printer from the RIP is what can cause this issue. The early drivers for the Latex 360 were sending 300 PPI to the printer, and that resolution can cause small text to look a bit fuzzy. This issue was resolved with newer drivers from the various RIPs, which render at 600 PPI, which is 4x the resolution of 300 PPI.

Also, I would council anyone considering new printers to wait until ISA Expo in April, as there are some new printer announcements that are rumored to be coming at that event.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Wow! You never replaced a head? That's amazing.

We run two JV3s here and keep regular maintenance on them.
After replacing the screws in the capping stations (those tend to eat heads!) we have yet to replace any heads here either.
And yes, we DO run a LOT of vinyl through ours.

Nuagedesigns

Yes we run alot as well. I am a little OCD with my maintenance I always have a tech out at least once every 18 months just to do a preventive maintenance check to see if they see anything that I may not. They have always said how clean and neat we keep everything. I would rather pay up front to make sure that I am not down unexpectdly. These machines need to run and be kept clean and they will treat you right. These are our money makers just like a car if you change the oil and stay on top of them they will last.

Best of luck.

I'm having my first firewire issues with my JV3SP160 after years of running smoothly. I can't find another computer with firewire ports. I can't find any firewire devices to check and see if it is my firewire card on my computer. Any ideas?

When I plug the firewire cable into my computer, I get nothing. When I send the job, production manager thinks it's printing, similar to when you send a job when you have forgotten to plug the cable in. Of course, no error messages on the printer side because no signal is reaching it I guess.

Turns out it was a bad firewire card on my laptop. Yippie! No $1000 board replacement or 3-week down time to repair the old one.

Finally broke down and bought a dedicated rip desktop.