• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

jv3 130 spII - how many keep the cover down while printing?

gabagoo

I was just staring at my printer and reading the decal that says " do not open this cover during printing. the carriage will stop and ruin the print". Seems kinda dumb to keep it shut especially if you need to check the media adjustments during and after hooking up to the take up reel? I know from day one the technician removed the gizmo that lets the printer know if the cover is open or closed and it sits permanently behind the cover holding the switch down be it open or closed. Does everyone do that? Just curious.

Letterbox Mike

I can't remember the last time we had the cover closed on our JV3. It's always open like that. When we got our JV33 a couple weeks ago the first thing I did was remove the pin from the cover so it could be open all the time too. Those covers are annoying, if you wait for the print to get out to where you can see it with the cover closed you've wasted a bunch of time and media if something is wrong with the print. With it open you can see right away if anything's wrong.

thewood

We disabled the cover mechanism on day one. However, I do close it once the media has advanced past the platen--especially if it's gonna be a long run.

BRUSHMARKS

Our cover sensor is taped down. we keep it up, then once we see the print is goign fine i shut it to keep dust off the print.

1banner

Agreed, mechanisim pin has been by-passed since day 1 and the cover is up most of the time while printer is running short runs...Closed for larger runs.

TheSnowman

I left mine in a couple years I think. I didn't really mind it being down I guess, but when I would do my cleanings, I'd open it up before it was completely ready for me to start cleaning, and I'd have to reset and let it read the roll, then I'd have to start over again. It is some kind of liability thing. The tech said, "I can't stop you from doing what you want when I'm gone...but I have to put it back".

Fuzzbuster

Wires Have been spliced together on all machines since day one

close cover only on long runs with room scrubber on

teddybier

The tech guy who installed the machine here did it by default on all machines he sold. And indeed, its open on short runs, and closed on longer jobs.

Molenbeek

Just to give you an idea- on the new Mimaki CJV30 Print/Cut machines with essentially the same printer in them- there is no cover that comes with them..

GB2

Old Member
I always keep the cover closed to contain the fumes as much as possible. My switch is disabled also but I only open the cover if needed to check a print job etc. I also keep the cover always closed when the printer is not running, again for maximum containment of any off-gassing ink in the printer and to keep any dust out of the print area.