• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV3-160 capping station says "Happy Monday!"

MikePro

GDI! Come back after a great weekend to find that my Magenta and Cyan caps/screens had come undone (stuck to print heads and move out of place... and then jammed into corners of the capping station)

no magenta or cyan on the test prints which means i'm completely clogged/dried up... sure hope a solid cleaning will take care of the issue :(

anyone else have frequent problems like this? this is the 3rd time in the past 2 months this has happened... thinking I have to take apart the whole capping station and clean out any gunk that might be causing it to stick. Also debating just simply replacing it altogether.

MikePro

whew! been a LONG day, but I fixed it!!!
was getting paranoid that I had destroyed a head since my test prints went from a few nozzles not firing, to none at all... so (after 3 99min nozzle washes) I used a syringe to force cleaning solution through the head and then primed the head with ink after drawing ink through the lines/dampers with another syringe and NOTHING!!! ugh!

as a last attempt, i did a fill ink with the drain bottle off to see if any Cyan was coming through the head and no luck. Pulled off the back of the printer to access the ink pump, hooked a syringe up to the Cyan to see if I could manually draw ink through and i can hear a faint hissing noise and no ink was pulling through
... confirming that the capping station wasn't making a seal with the Cyan head!

LUCKILY i had ordered a couple of spare printer parts a while back and still had a new cap/drain line in my toolbox. After cursing the hell out of the springs that kept wanting to jump out of my printer as I replaced cap, I am rockin' and rollin'!
God damn I love knowing how to service my own printer... i'm still set to install 250sq.ft of window graphics tomorrow and was getting ready to call the client and postpone.

HAPPY MONDAY! and t-minus 3days til I'm in HAWAII!

bmw_ante

Are you cleaning around the heads at least every week? Shut down the printer and slide the head to to maintanance slot and clean everything around the heads, if ink builds up here you are going to have theese kind of trubble, The yellow /cyan head lifts the capping station up and the heads crash !

It is important to clean around heads and capping station to prevent this, The capping has 2 plastic things on the side of each color, Clean theese carefully so there is no dried ink, Dried ink here or on this sides of the head = Less space between the print head and capping ,they must not touch each other

When i started at my job others told me that the printer would crash into the capping every now and then, Now its been about a year with no crashes,
Notice that i have changed the springs inside the cappingstation so it withdraws ok when the head slides away from it,

MikePro

yup! weekly maintenance includes cleaning capping station. i was also on install all last week, out of state, and the printer had been sitting idle. its not the first time this has happened, but yeah... it has always happened over the weekend, so maybe i'll make sure to bump up my capping station scrubbings to fridays and mondays.

signswi

On the new capping stations the screens are clipped in and can't come out. Order a new capping station if you're still on an old one. Also, we clean around the head ever morning, not weekly. Quite a bit builds up in just one day!

bmw_ante

On the new capping stations the screens are clipped in and can't come out. Order a new capping station if you're still on an old one. Also, we clean around the head ever morning, not weekly. Quite a bit builds up in just one day!

What difference does it do that the screens are "clipped in " they dont just fly away from the capping, The reason is that the head crasches in to the capping station to early when going to the right ... This is caused by bad capping adjustment, Springs gone bad so it does not retract well, or in most cases just dirt around the heads